Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: August Entry: the Under Halls

Wip August Entry: the Under Halls

What timing is this! I just created a Xara tutorial for creating Quick Dungeons and this month's challenge is to create Dungeon Tiles, hmmm.

Strange, but my first product offer on my printing site was for something I called Endless Terrain Battlemaps which featured geomorphic edges on an 11 x 17 map printed and laminated on two sides. A set of four was 8 different maps. Dungeon Tiles is far easier to create than geomorphic wilderness terrain which were my primary offers.

So I'm very familiar with the concept.

Plan so far, following my tutorial step-by-step, I plan to create 12 battlemaps at the 8" x 10" size with four exits each, to include: 1 surface access map, 4 catacomb maps, 1 crypt map, 1 maze of doors map, 1 ruins map, 1 watery map, 1 large chamber map, 1 dungeon community map, and natural cave map.

I've got 2/3rds of the basic floorplans setup, but I want to do some detailing before I post a WIP, but I will post in the various steps of tutorial for all maps so you can see the process in how it was done.

Will post them tomorrow...

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-04-2008 at 02:35 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wip 1st Base Tile

Only 8 tiles? OK, here's the first, I call it the "Entry" tile or "Surface Access" Tile. A hole to the surface from a ruined structure with sunlight and debris falling in. Even some plants growing where the sun allows it.

Since there's a restriction of 8 tiles for this challenge, yet I've preconceived of 12 I want to make, I will be providing 4 "bonus tiles" that because they will be a bit exotic from the standard dungeon tiles one would expect to include - will not count as part of this challenge. The "Entry" Tile is the first of these bonus tiles.

No tokens until the end.

I may change textures and colors but the 1st tile design is complete...

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon01.png 
Views:	347 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	5648  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-03-2008 at 05:48 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

There is no eight tile limit. The limit is each tile should be no larger than 8"x10" for printing purposes (most of us regular folks can only print letter or legal size )

If you want to only make 5 tiles, you are good, want to make 20 tiles, you are good. The tiles with a 1-inch grid should then be 8x10
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Wip Square better than rectangle, but...

I agree with Redrobes in that square Tiles offer more options than rectangular tiles, but this challenge calls for the use of 8 x 10 tiles, so I will observe this rule. Though NK also said at least two doors, I believe four doors open more possibilities for random dungeon tile placement. Though you may notice one cannot necessarily exit through all of the four when in a given tile, depending on the layout. This still follows the philosophy of my Endless Terrain Battlemaps...

Below is 3 of the many possible dungeon tile configurations using 5 tiles I've completed/semi-completed so far. Some tiles have been rotated 180 degrees from a previous tile placement.

The tiles presented are the Entry Tile, and 4 Catacomb Tiles (catacomb tiles will be part of the actual entry and not being bonus tiles.)

GP

PS: Thanks, NK! 12 tiles it is, no bonus tiles necessary! In fact I may go 20 tiles, now that you mention it. Now I can have fun...

Name:	group1.gif 
Views:	186 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	5674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	group2.gif 
Views:	135 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	5675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	group3.gif 
Views:	129 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	5676  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-03-2008 at 02:02 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Sure, just to further clarify, you can make square tiles if you want, I just stipulated that a tile could be no larger than 8x10
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Wip Next Five Maps of set...

I'm sticking with full 8 x 10's so I can create larger chambers as I need it.

The first four maps below are the catacombs subset - the "standard" dungeon tiles that would be available in most tile sets.

Since I'm categorizing my "Entry" Tile in the previous post as an exotic. So too is this exotic tile, called the "Pool" Tile, a large chamber with water filling most of it and tranparent to see that it is a living pool, from an underground lake that may flow in from under the "northside" balcony.

Note: there really is no north in these maps, as a GM can rotate them 180 degrees, after using them and placing down ahead through the next door.

My Dungeon Tiles, subsets of 4 tiles: Catacombs 1 (here), Catacombs 2, Drainage Tunnels, Exotics, and Caverns.

Six done - fourteen to go. Note: I will upload gridded versions at completion of all tile designs. And tokens.

These are all 1.5 MB each, or thereabouts...

GP

Name:	catacombs1.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	5678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catacombs2.png 
Views:	220 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	5679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catacombs3.png 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	5680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catacombs4.png 
Views:	226 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	5681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watery.png 
Views:	258 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	5682  

DrivethruRPG store

Wip Catacombs too normal...

After looking at my Catacombs tiles, I thought they looked too standard. So I added some subtle changes like stairs to change elevations between chambers on a tile. Although I've already changed all four catacombs tiles. I've only uploaded the second catacombs tile (gatehouse entry tile).

The door on the "west" wall does not connect with the rest of the exits on this level, so I threw in some stairs up and down. Going up to the center room, I've placed a steel barred window exposing the view at the entrance to the gatehouse below. I've also added some rubble.

Ambushes with missle weapons or spells to targets entering the gatehouse area below. No access past the barred window, so attacker in safe position.

I will upload the improved catacombs with the next batch, tomorrow or later tonight.

GP

Name:	catacombs2a.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	5690  
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Updates + 1

Here are the updated catacomb maps 1, 3 & 4. I adjusted the shadow values in the Entry tile. And a new one, the Crypt tile...

GP

Name:	catacombs1.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	5692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catacombs3.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	5693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catacombs4.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	5694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon01.png 
Views:	4223 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	5695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crypt.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	5696  

DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Lookin' good so far, beyond anything I could manage at this point.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looking great GP as usual! These are definitely going to get some use. There is a thread at the RPTools forums right now about using macros and tiles to generate random maps so this month's challenge is quite timely.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast