Thread: August Entry: Bert the Troll's Cave

Post August Entry: Bert the Troll's Cave

I started this project a few days ago, before I knew what the mapping challenge would be. The concept is a relatively simple adventure scenario that should be suitable for 4ed.

Bert the troll lives in his troll cave, along with pets (e.g. dire bears), family, and possibly friends as well. There may also be live food in the form of captured wayfarers from nearby road, in his cave. There may also be other monsters in his cave, things that even Bert is reluctant to tangle with.

Since I am still building the pieces for building the cave itself, I am not quite sure what all will wind up in the final version.

Pictures below are for large scale map which includes the location of Bert's cave, and some details of surrounding area. It is only a guide layer for finished map. Arranged on this map are the 5 cave pieces I have finished so far (2 of the pieces are very similar to 2 of the others). Map is scaled 1 in = 20', pieces are made to scale 1 in = 5', so depicted pieces are over-sized wrt map scale.

I have also uploaded picture of 1 of the pieces that I have decided I will probably not change. This piece is a sort of referance piece, and all the other pieces will have to mesh well with it.

At my other thread I have posted a picture of this particular piece meshing with itself.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=2626&page=2

I intend for this map to be VTT compatible when I am finished with it.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bert's Cave so far.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	5634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cave tile 1.png 
Views:	607 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	5635  
    Last edited by yu gnomi; 08-02-2008 at 08:03 PM.

Tiles are not in finished state, but look to me as if they will function. I will print some out soon and see how they fit together on a table. Many of the tiles I am working with are very similar to others, and simply have different connecting pieces.

Here are 5 more tile

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Cave Tile 0.png 
Views:	1435 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	5660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cave Tile 2.png 
Views:	460 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	5661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cave tile 3.png 
Views:	645 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	5662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cave tile 4.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	5663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cave tile 5.png 
Views:	1415 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	5664  

Have more to upload, but encountered database error. I will try again later today or tomorrow.

I just got back in town after being gone for two weeks. I volunteered to house sit for my family, and did not realize that I would not have internet access while doing so.

I am a bit worried that I have received no feedback on what I have posted so far. I hope that my entry is what the project is supposed to be. I have re-worked the tiles, including using a different fill and gridding the tiles. I am uploading an example of how these finished tiles should be used.

The tiles are hand drawn asymetrical shapes, designed to give the feel of a natural cavern system. While in the example pictures, I have joined them in an orthogonal fashion, the tiles can be also be joined at diagonal angles. This is why I used circular tab and slot connections for the various tiles.

I also use two different type of bevels to indicate elevation changes. One should resemble a top down view of half of a funnel, with a lip at the top part. One of these is on the tile which joins the northeast junction of the largest tile. It indicates an upward climb to exit the big chamber via that route.

The other bevel should look like a solid ring underneath a tile, where it meets another tile. This indicates a downslope. One of these is at the south entrance to the big chamber, indicating a downslope when entering the chamber from south.
    Last edited by yu gnomi; 08-17-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Okay, here is second attempt at uploading images. Attempted to attach them to last post, but it didn't work. I think I just didn't wait long enough.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Sample Tiling 1.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	6009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample Tiling 2.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	6010  

Post Too large of pieces

Especially in your large, central chamber it appears to be too large to qualify for this challenge. Remember maps can be no larger than 8 x 10 where 1 inch per grid is the scale requirement. The central chamber appears to be 11 or 12 grids long, which is too big.

Interesting idea using "connection nodes" so you can create multi-directional paths.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Actually, I have more than 8 shapes for tiles. Even without the big chamber, I should be able to finish enough for mapping challenge.

Just wondering if I'm on right track or wrong track.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I agree with that "attachment nodes" being a really cool idea. Worth looking into and experimenting with, especially if you could make these fit together sort of like rotating puzzle pieces with a clear, round "loop" end and solid "post" end. Then lay a grid over top of the whole thing once done (like a black grid printed on clear cellophane).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yea, I agree. Having the grid already on the pieces makes it a little weird if you drop them at a different angle than intended. Especially if you make it a long straight shot rather then a turn. For the systems that depend on grids it will be hard to work with. These are well suited for VTT use though since the grid can be dropped over the top. Just to have a version with the grid burned in.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.