Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I thought this would be a quick one-day project, but…

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm not sure I like the ISO cities with those mountains and the coast. I love the mountains and coast though, so my vote is to keep them and ditch the city icons in favor of something more two-dimensional.

IMHO this is far too accurate to resemble a medieval map, that's what strikes me the most. It looks nice and tidy, the mountains, the towns, the coast, overall... If you are aiming at something more primeval (even if not using the mountain styles of the examples you gave) you need to let go some accuracy.
    Exactly what could go and what could stay is up to you I think.

(Edit: looking at the map again, the cities/towns could be changed, maybe making them a little bit like tapestry drawings and completely out of scale, maybe making rivers/streams quite visible and again, out of scale, maybe adding some decorative drawings, like vessels/peasants/knights. Just searched and found this nice map-in-tapestry, dating from XVI century: http://25.media.tumblr.com/bd8ab15ea...qm1o1_1280.jpg)
    Last edited by Pixie; 03-17-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Lyrillies: Thanks! I haven't made the waves thicker actually, only darker, but I guess that has that kind of effect. The actual coastline is a little thickened though, to make it stand out from the waves more.

-Max-: Thanks, maybe it'll be easier to see if the font is what's off in the WIP below?

Diamond: Yeah, I think you're right. Actually, you're definitely right. Madcowchef suggested the same thing, so now I feel stupid for not following the advice the first time I got it… Sorry, Madcowchef! I'll draw some 2d icons tomorrow. It should improve readability too, with the fewer lines. Glad you like the mountains and coasts, Diamond

Pixie: Yup, that's true. I think a problem here is that we are used to very detailed and accurate maps now, so a deliberately inaccurate one would come across as badly made… I tried to make a compromise, but yes, I'm aware that it's too detailed to look truly medieval. It's not something I can adress without starting over, and I honestly don't think I want to That is an extremely beautiful map you linked to though, I must say.

Here's an update, with labels. I like this font, it has the feel I want, but maybe it's not legible enough?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Middle Sea 2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	372.8 KB 
ID:	62410

Readability suffers a tiny bit with that font, but I forgive you because it looks awesome, especially the version on the seas. What font is that? It looks like one I sometimes use called Raspcallion.

Haha, great It's Blackmoor LET, with a black "inner glow" on the seas. I looked up Rapscallion though, and it's really cool, so I grabbed it. Thanks for the tip

2d cities, a frame, and some minor name changes that no one except me will care about This one is close to finished now, I just want to come up with a more original name for the Middle Sea… Anything else I should rework? Are the new icons better? I think so, but I don't trust me…

Name:	Middle Sea3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	405.2 KB 
ID:	62431

Looking good. The line work on the castle icon seems thinner than that on the rest of the map. The texturing on the border seems out of place with the rest of the map being exclusively black and white line work. And I still really love those ocean lines. The small "errors" you've included are excellently subtle and keep it from feeling machine made, nice work.

I noticed the thinner castle lines as well, but maybe that's to distinguish them from the actual towns and cities? Those icons are MUCH better overall though. As far as the border goes... not a big fan, at least for this map. You've got bold black lines everywhere else, why not on the border too?

Guild Adept

I hate to say it, but I find the wave effect extremely distracting, at least on a monitor. Printed it might not do that, but even then... they create something of a "barren bowl" effect with waters on both sides and close together. They seem to overpower the mountains and pretty much everything else while not conveying a really important cartographical message. Still a good map, but had to put in my two cents, LOL.

Some of this also depends on the size I'm viewing at.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Thanks guys, I've addressed the castle lineweight and the border now. Don't know what I was thinking when I made that border really… I've tried a few other variants now, but with bold lines it becomes too overpowering, and I actually think I like it better without a pattern at all. I made the line a little thicker, and that's probably all I'll do unless there's strong disagreement

Name:	Middle Sea4.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	447.0 KB 
ID:	62470
    @Veldehar: I appreciate your 2 cents The waves indeed don't convey anything in particular, I just thought it would look nice… Plus, medieval maps are full of stuff that doesn't convey much, so it's thematic, isn't it? But I have to say, I don't find them so distracting. If I use this style more I'll keep it in mind though, and try to make them thinner.

Nice looking though I have to agree with Veldehar .The waves are distracting. . I think it's the density / Spacing of the waves. Further /more irregular spacing or simply less opacity/boldness might help ! Great and convincing otherwise !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast