Thread: Need to creata a map on Muslim learning communities in the 16th Century

Map Need to create a map on Muslim learning communities in the 16th Century

Hi everyone,

I need some help making a map for my dissertation. The map would be of three continents (Africa, Asia, and Europe), showing the names of the origin and make-up of learning communities or fraternities at al-Azhar, the second oldest Islamic center in Cairo. I've attached a map of the Islamic world in the 1500s, as that would give you a rough idea of the geographic area that I am dealing with. The style of this map should be greyscale, preferably with a older look/feel to it (unlike the colors on the attached map). I would want the oceans/seas included. The following list includes approximations of the place-names that should be placed on the map. I realize that these names are not of the same type/category (some are named after cultural/ethnic groups, and some are cites/provinces/geographical areas). These are essentially the names of learning communities who travele to Cairo to study at al-Azhar.

Yemen, "‘Ajam" (Persia/Kurdistan), al-Sulaymāniyya (historic Bukhara), Turkoman, Rumi (Anatolia and Rumelia or Southeast Europe), ‘Iraq (the district around modern-day Baghdad, but in common usage, it came to include both Iraq proper and the area north of it, the Jazīra, more or less the modern country of the same name), Maghrib (North Africa), Barābira (Along the Nile south of Aswan), Jabart (Ethiopia), Takrūr (Takrūr indicated the region of sub-Sahara Africa stretching from present-day Sudan in the east to Senegal in the west). Ibn Mu‘ammar (countryside of Egypt), Faiyyumiyya (Faiyyum or middle Egypt, southwest of Cairo), al-Fuwwā (Fuwwa, a city located in the province of Kafr al-Shaykh, in northern Egypt on the Nile’s western branch in the Delta).

I need this map by April 15, but preferably sooner. I would like copyright and reproduction rights to the map. This is a work in progress, and I might have to change the map in the future to accommodate new data.

Please email me at Irfana00--at--gmail if interested or reply to this thread.
    Thank you for reading.

Irfana
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map 1500.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	62376  
    Last edited by irfana; 03-17-2014 at 02:31 PM.