Thread: March 2014 Entry - Fane of the Righteous

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Publisher Facebook Connected JPQuinn's Avatar

Post March 2014 Entry - Fane of the Righteous

I have been a game designer for many, many years. But, I've been "out of the game" for a bit (nearly 8 years). I think something like this would be great for me to break my old writing chops back in, AND flex some of my new cartography skills.

My entry is called "Fane of the Righteous." It is designed for any D&D, Pathfinder, or similar fantasy game. Meant for a single, good-aligned player of any level with a unique DISABILITY. That PC is dead!!!

The dead PC awakens in Room 1 facing a council of 9 goodly angelic creatures. These creatures have a number of trials (the other 8 rooms) which the PC can choose to perform. At the conclusion of these trials, the PC will be able to choose one of three fates: 1) return to his body in the mortal world; 2) come live in the afterlife as an immortal agent for good; or 3) pass on peacefully to his final rest.

This is my initial 2-minute dungeon layout. I wrote a few basic notes so I could recognize my "blobs".

Created in Photoshop CC (64-bit), 300dpi, RGB 8-bit, 6"x6"

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-01---Fane-of-the-Righteous.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	62379
    JP Quinn
    Writer, Game Designer, Map Dabbler
    Visit my blog

Ohhh, I love the concept. I think that would be awesome to try in a campaign.

Publisher Facebook Connected JPQuinn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonicus View Post
    Ohhh, I love the concept. I think that would be awesome to try in a campaign.
    Thank you The difficulty in this one lies in the fact that I'm a notorious overwriter when it comes to adventure modules. When I wrote my first module, I was asked to write a 10-15 page dungeon adventure. I churned out a 64-page adventure sourcebook... so a 1-page dungeon is a definite challenge for me.

On to the map!

In this step, I took my brief notes and have begun pulling together the central room and feel for the map. I like the "Ol' Blues" from the early years of TSR. But, I want this map to feel a little more modern and streamlined. Here is the first encounter area, the Petitioners' Oubliette. A central platform (where the PC begins) surrounded by an unknowable-depth of clouds, a wide walkway, and a viewing box for the angelic host to watch from.

Comments welcome.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-02---Fane-of-the-Righteous.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	62395
    JP Quinn
    Writer, Game Designer, Map Dabbler
    Visit my blog

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

I like this already! The concept is very cool - I don't know why, but I do enjoy a selfish quest over an altruistic one, it's more believable somehow (said the naive cynic).
    If at first you don't succeed; try, try again. If you still don't succeed; go to the tutorials section!

Albums
    Digital Maps
    Traditional Media Maps
    Works In Progress

Any further progress on this JP?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh