Thread: The Island of Wanakokakola....Comments, please.

Map The Island of Wanakokakola....Comments, please.

Salutations....

My first completed island map...I even worked up a decent-looking volcano. Please peruse and critique, constructive criticism is always welcome.

Notes:
    1) Intentionally left out the trees. See the attached "historical" text.
    2) The difference between the 2 jpg's - one has both bumps and texture turned off so the lava field shows up better.
    3) Don't kvetch about my "rivers"; again, read the "history".
    4) A lot of the detail is hand-painted; if you can't tell, then I did good. Ask what is or isn't.
    5) The blocky chunks scattered around are just that, and don't pretend to be anything else. Erosion happens (again, the .txt file).
    6) The light gray lines all over the lava flow aren't rivers, they're erosion lines.
    7) It ain't perfect and I know it. But I was happy enough with it to show it off. Gotta crawl before you can walk.
    VIII) Read the history text anyway. It's good for a few giggles.

Credit where credit is due: I relied heavily on original tutorials concocted and/or compiled by RobA, Arsheesh and wisemoon. These tutorials inspired all my tweaks, mosh-ups, flashes of insight and experimentation.
    Last edited by RJsDad; 03-17-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typing 8) subs a smiley after 7)

Well, all those views and NO comments? It's either:
    a) Really good and no one can find anything to criticize.
    b) Really bad and no one can find anything nice to say.
    c) So good OR so bad that words fail you.
    d) My poor literary skills. OR
    e) Something completely different altogether.
    (enter here)

Opinions may be like *******, but I'd still like to hear them.....

Please don't use expletives unless absolutely necessary as we have children on this forum. We have a filter that usually sanitises them but it missed the one in your post which I have asterisked manually.
    - Thanks! - Ravells
    Last edited by ravells; 03-18-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Patience is a virtue... while this is a very active forum, instant responses are not guaranteed. Many people only respond to either something they think is outstandingly good or innovative, or to point out glaring mistakes. Sometimes it is just difficult to offer constructive criticism.

I think you did rather well. Good concept and a nice execution based on the tutorials. There are some points were seem to have been a little lazy... the way the river merges (or rather, doesn't) into the lake, for example.

I have not worked in this style, and I would not know how to improve on it... but what I would want to do here is to expand the "3-D" style that is so explicit in the volcano over more of the map. The lava fields look rather flat, even with the bump mapping you used. Rivers and ravines also should get a bevel and of course must fit within the overall height-layout. The way your main river crosses the erosion lines for example seems to be a little weird.

Thanks a lot! I'll go back and work on the 3-d stuff to make them pop a bit more. All the water on the lava beds was a last minute addition AFTER I had stroked the gray lines. I'm doing a lot of add-on detail by hand and a lot of back and forth trying different concepts. I still haven't completely grasped masking layers, but I forge onward!

you asked for it!too circular... the island is a circle, the pond in the middle is too circular, the volcano is very much a circle with a small circle smack in the middle of that circe... i say break it up some... i love all the textures your using! but the volcano one in particular is too grainy... it looks very repeated and you should enlarge the size...

also think some clouds floating around (transparent whit poofs around) would break thinks up, give more distance... for instance having a cloud cross from the ocean to the island would break that very circular line all the way around it... just my thoughts...

...and I thank you for them. And after further review, you have a point. I have lots to think about before releasing Wanakokakola 2.0.

Light Bulb: maybe a collapsed caldera or shield volcano. Worth a shot....
    Last edited by RJsDad; 03-18-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: random thought...