Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Region Map of arrid world

Map Region Map of arrid world

Here's a regional map I'm working on for a relatively arid world with lake systems forming the inhabited regions and deserts as the main terrain divider. I'm very happy with the over all look, though a few of the features I simply need to get better at making before much improvements can be made (such as the mountains). I did both a color version and a black and white version with less texturing. Thoughts and criticisms are most welcome.

It's a very nice map ! Is it supposed to be some sort of mediterranean climate?

I believe so, but I'm not the originator of that part, just the map maker. I like themed worlds despite the typical lack of complete realism in the climates. Like any good story you need a certain suspension of disbelief for it to work. I'm not extremely knowledgeable about climates, but its my understanding that without the ability to moderate the temperatures that having large ocean masses provide having a habitable planet is much more difficult.

This looks very nice Madcowchef! I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I love it! Good colors, nice border and mountains... And I like the squared flags! Do you have a bigger version? It's hard to see details of the towns/forests.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I love it! Good colors, nice border and mountains... And I like the squared flags! Do you have a bigger version? It's hard to see details of the towns/forests.
    I had the same feeling, but you can visualize the full version of the images if you right click them and select "open in new tab". Enjoy! They're pretty great maps!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    I believe so, but I'm not the originator of that part, just the map maker. I like themed worlds despite the typical lack of complete realism in the climates. Like any good story you need a certain suspension of disbelief for it to work. I'm not extremely knowledgeable about climates, but its my understanding that without the ability to moderate the temperatures that having large ocean masses provide having a habitable planet is much more difficult.
    Actually, speaking as the person who commissioned this, the planet at large is quite a bit colder than that; Iceland or Patagonia would be the closest equivalent climates on Earth, albeit the area pictured here (close to the equator) is a bit warmer, just warm enough to grow most earthly cereal crops and let the lakes and rivers host living fish (though swimming still isn't a very good idea).
    Last edited by Ares96; 03-19-2014 at 11:59 AM.

I've been watching as you posted your progress of this map in your folder. Simply lovely.

There's your climate answers from the man/women himself/herself. Speaking of progress here is the better version of the black and white, with fill style shading on the pennants so you can actual tell them apart. Not sure how to make an image do the standard enlarge-when-you-click-it thing when its from one of your albums.

I'm male. Incidentally, insofar as it has any bearing on this, the world in question is called Hume. Not for the philosopher, but simply because its inhabitants are human. Yeah, I know, but when one of the main themes of your story is how truth mutates into legend you're going to end up with A LOT of placenames that sound like bad puns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast