Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clann Llocc

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Alright, folks, I had a bit of time again to work on this map.

As suggested I tried changing the colour variation. I tend to go with pretty desaturated colours for some reason, so for a change I used a more saturated green. I also played around with different layer styles, namely vivid light and divide. INTERESTING effects!
    It's not final of course, but I guess I'm going in the right direction. Plus it might be even more attractive for leprechauns to settle there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClannLokkganzKorr-V8.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	64399

I hope I'll have the time to update this more frequently aswell as reading and posting in other threads.

Anyways, read you all later! Cheers.

Had more time to work on it as I thought, so here comes a semifinal version of the topographic map:

Name:	ClannLokkganzKorr-V9.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	64411

No labels or anything yet. But the details, forests and rivers are all there. I tried to balance the colours a bit more and made the sea a richer blue. Also added a slight glow to set off the coastline.

I plan on putting this document into a larger one so I can add a frame, cartouches and descriptions. Towns, roads and border are also still missing, and I'm considering not to add those and instead just label a few landmarks. I guess I'll make a political map with all the settlements etc. in a different, more stylized style. Something with a handdrawn, b/w look.

Alrighty, glad to be back in the game!

I like your new colors on the lands, but some spots are a bit too red/yellow to my personnel taste. Maybe an even more progressive color scale?
    And, I would do the same about your new sea coloring.
    But that's just matter of taste, I suppose. I know I tend to prefer faded colors...

Yeah, I need to tweak it a bit so the reddish spots will go away. Would you mind explaining the progressive color scale? If I'm not mistaken that's painting basics, but since I'm self taught I'm not sur I know what you mean!

The sea needs to be desaturated again, I agree. That was a bit too much. Plus I don't want to put too much emphasis on it.

Well, I mean a gradiant of colors, like clear blue to dark blue and/or less to more saturated blue for the sea. You could from a clear blue on the coast to a deeper blue for the high sea.

Okay, another small update. I tried to get rid of the reddish spots, worked on the contrast which imo makes it seem sharper, and desaturated the sea again. I have not added a gradient to the water yet, I'll leave that to the end.

Name:	ClannLokkganzKorr-V10.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	64819

Any ideas how I could achieve a more detailed and sharper look? I'm also glad for suggestions on labeling. As mentioned above, I think this map would be too rich/full to add too many labels, so I'm thinking of maybe just turning this into a geographical map and do the political map in a different style.

While you fine folks ponder this, I'll go ahead and work on the political style!

Cheers everyone,
    Llannagh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12