Thread: Land of Gold and Silver Apples

Default Land of Gold and Silver Apples

Howdy all.

This map was my entry to the February/March 2014 Lite Challenge, map a fairytale. It depicts a fictional land where many of the folkstories we are familiar with take place, all engineered by one clever little puss in boots to escape punishment. The title of the map comes from 'The Song of Wandering Aengus' by WB Yeats.

The map is entirely hand drawn on A3 paper, and coloured in photoshop. Text uses Chapbook, Chapbook Italic, and Telegdi fonts. The old paper texture comes from CGTextures.com. The WIP thread is here.

I am posting it as a finish map, but I don't know if it qualifies as finished yet. If I get any comments for ways to improve it, then I'd be happy to act on those suggestions.

Thank you for your comments and questions.

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Folktale Map 10.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	62474  

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Adept

Delightful map.

This is lovely THW! My only critique is that the paper texture becomes fuzzy when you zoom in. Sorry, can't rep you atm.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you.

@Arsheesh: I see what you mean about the texture. It's probably made worse by the comparative crispness of the drawing. Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done about that if the original texture is of too low a resolution, is there?

THW

Guild Novice

This map is amazing, and I love the whimsy through it all! This brings together the TV show Once Upon a Time, the movie Puss in Boots, and the Dresden Files and October Daye book series, nicely wrapped up in a gorgeous picture. Fantastic!
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ~Lao Tzu

Thanks hellforged. Working on the map actually reminded be of a program that was shown in Australia when I was a kid: Jim Henson's The Storyteller. Making the map was both fun and nostalgic.

Guild Novice

Oh wow, the Storyteller! Brings back memories - I actually used the Soldier and Death in an adventure I ran once, a long time ago, and was introduced to that story via that program.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ~Lao Tzu