Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Norumbega Continent (World of Eldoran)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking good! I think of the two samples you posted above, the first one works better. I like the idea of the horizontal lines, but it didn't turn out as nicely as I'd imagined it in my mind. Maybe due to the clash with the diagonal lines.

And I really like that mini-map idea!

Hey Ilanthar!

I'm a complete and absolute noob so my opinion it's completely visual, not from experience, but I wanted to tell you how much I loved the Eldoran world maps, even more the non political one, which on the original thread seemed to win the most favorable opinion, but they are both gorgeous (it really made an impression on me when I stumbled upon them).

Anyway, since that thread of the world maps it's a little dated now, I didn't dare to post my compliment there in case I annoyed someone (I know in forums it's not usually right to revive old posts unless it saves to have to create a new thread about the same thing), I do it here, since it's related and I'm really hoping to see what the final result of your work on the continent is.

So, congratulations and thanks for sharing such beautiful map with us.

I also would like to take the chance to ask you about the sea in those gorgeous maps, did you have to make it yourself or is it one of those background images you can download and use directly? If it's the last case, could you perhaps direct me to it? I suck at creating nice looking textures for my crappy map trials, and that sea you got would solve my sea problems. If you can't don't worry.

Have a nice day everyone!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Coming along very nicely! I'm 100% pleased with the fonts now
    I agree with Diamond about the populated areas, the horisontal lines is a good idea to distinguish them from the border coloring, but for some reason it doesn't work perfectly in my eyes either. Maybe they could be diagonal in the other direction instead? Like, if the border diagonals are 45° up, the population diagonals are 45° down. Don't know if it really would be better, but if it's not to much work, it could be worth testing perhaps?

You're too kind with me groovey!

By Groovey
    I also would like to take the chance to ask you about the sea in those gorgeous maps, did you have to make it yourself or is it one of those background images you can download and use directly? If it's the last case, could you perhaps direct me to it? I suck at creating nice looking textures for my crappy map trials, and that sea you got would solve my sea problems. If you can't don't worry.
    It's actually just a color layer with effect/transparency (different setting for the different maps) and a background paper texture. I didn't used the same paper texture for the world maps and this map, and I had to "make it bigger" from the originals (which came from deviantart with a "free to use" policy). I can put it at your disposal if you want.

Ok, here's the map with the muted borders and a few more labels (on the main rivers & maritime). Are the rivers labels readable?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norum last track.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	63221

@ Lingon : and you're right, it's a quick test to do . I'm not sure it's better than horizontal lines though...

Name:	Lingon test.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	710.2 KB 
ID:	63222

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Yeah, those inhabited areas are a real tough one… I think I like the diagonal lines slightly better than the horisontal ones actually (though I'm biased, I guess ), but maybe the best way was how you did it from the beginning, with solid color. I'm currently leaning towards that

The river labels are absolutely readable. Well done!

Yep, I'll keep the coloring and muted borders as Diamond suggested. It has my preference in the end.

By Lingon
    The river labels are absolutely readable. Well done!
    Glad to read that! Well, just a border, an indication of the big maritime roads... and it's gonna be close to an end.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

The muted colors are lovely! Its difficult to find the right Balance for such borders.

By Schwarzkreuz
    The muted colors are lovely! Its difficult to find the right Balance for such borders.
    Thanks! That's requiring the precious aid of the guild

I added a border and I'll probably go with the legend on the low left corner, title in the top right. The maritime roads were messy with lines, so I just marked the international ports with an anchor... don't know if that's a good idea either, or enough information.

Name:	Norum border.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	63256

I changed the effect of the railroads (a bit better like that imo) and added the other elements.... So, close to finish this, I think. Anything to improve?

Name:	Norumbega final.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	63287

Thanks for all the support and help! And here is the finished map thread.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345