Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Norumbega Continent (World of Eldoran)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Norumbega Continent (World of Eldoran)

Still working on my Eldoran setting and right now on the continent of Norumbega. The idea is to make a more precise political map of the continent, with main travel routes and a sense of the "unexplored lands".
    I tried some coastal contour lines for a start. I have been thinking of different way to do the mountains (maybe more "19th century") but I've failed to find something convincing.
    What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norumbega test.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	62483

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

It's very pixelated! I guess this is a zoom-in on the big map, and that you plan to redo the mountains? In that case the same mountain style should look just as awesome here as on the world map

Yes, you're right! I've re-done the coast with more details to match the size, but mountains are just "zoomed" to fit. In fact, for now, I want to know if the coastline and waves is OK.
    I would love to try another style of mountains, but it has to fit correctly... I could use the same style but that will take a lot of time and will be difficult as well... Any ideas of a good solution?

Well, it appears that I can use the same base file for mountains and enlarge it before applying the effects. So, here it is with my old mountains, less pixelated.
    But I'm still not sure to use those mountains. It's probably too present... I may try something else.

Name:	Norumbega test.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	62512

The lines around the coast look too much like a filter to me, the lack of precision in picking out the details makes them pretty meh. I've had the same trouble, the best solution I've found is to do each of line individually with a stroke effect always making sure to contract my selection area then smooth it rather than expand it as that gives you blobby rather than form fitting lines. I like the style of mountains you are going for and will be interested to see what solution you work out, but sadly have no useful advice in that regards.

What did you use to make those mountains? With an added gaussian blur to make them just shadows they'd be exactly the style I want for some of my maps...

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I think the coastline looks great, a little too blurry but it's got a good rugged feel. I agree with Madcowchef about the wave lines though, they would look better if they picked up more of the detail on the coastline.
    I really like this mountain style, it's very special but makes total sense and looks fantastic, but if you experiment with other styles I'd be excited to see those too.

Thanks for your comments!

@ Madcowchef & Lingon : yes, I wasn't really convinced and you pointed the "why" very well! I may try something else... I don't think I can do what you described MCC (thanks for the explanation), and I can't use the good tutorial of Diamond... or don't know how to convert it from Photoshop.

@ Raptori : it's a combination : mountains done in Wilbur, then a filter "liquid drawing" in Inskape, then a few corrections in PSP. With two layers, one with a lot of mountains/hills for a background, one for the major mountain ranges.

Two tests on a smaller part about coasltines. I reduced a bit the main coastline (less blurry?).

Which one is better / what do you suggest?

Name:	Waves1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	62531 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waves2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	62532

Cool thanks; I can't get Wilbur to work, so I'll have to work something else out. Bought a new monitor so I can take back the graphics tablet from my partner, so maybe I'll just wait for that to arrive and then paint them by hand

The coastlines look good to me, and I like the first of those two more, I think it fits better with the mountains. Based on what I've liked on other maps, both versions might be improved by fading the texture/line get further from the coast (an opacity gradient so they fade away I mean), but I can't quite imagine how it'd actually look.

..yeah I get the feeling I'm not being very helpful here D:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast