Thread: First Attempt

Wip First Attempt

Well, I figured I'd get off my butt and post the beginnings of the map I was working on. This is the first map I've ever really attempted using a computer. Prior to this, any gaming maps I did were done by hand...

This is the start of a continent map that I am doing for a friend online. The lack of features is because I'm waiting for him to get back to me with general locations for where things were in his head. Unfortunately, his health has been such that he hasn't had a chance to do so yet. So for now, this is what I've got.

Any advice at all would be great. I'm using a number of tutorials and resources that I've found here to help me out.

Thanks!
    Crossbow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThraceContinent-color.Jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	63242  

Guild Novice

The coastline looks good and interesting
    I don't really get the background "patches", I think they might distract you in the further process.

What scale are you aiming for/ how big is it going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaEpsilon View Post
    The coastline looks good and interesting
    I don't really get the background "patches", I think they might distract you in the further process.
    Yeah, that was a very poor first attempt at an old parchment color. It's far too strong and in need of serious tweaking. Luckily it's just a couple of layers that I can turn off if I need.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaEpsilon View Post
    What scale are you aiming for/ how big is it going to be?
    In theory, it's supposed to be large continent size, but I really don't like the idea of it being a Pangea-like mass. I'm going to try to talk him down to more like Africa-size. Personally, I'd prefer more like South America at the largest, but it's not my world.

The major feature is a mountain range running east-west roughly in the middle. I'm still waiting on confirmation of location, etc...