Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Central Uralien

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Map Central Uralien

Hi guys,

Lately, I worked on a old atlas (not that old ) style test , inspired by some mid 19th century american and french atlas maps, though I mixed it with a slighty more "modern" relief style. During the process, I wanted to see more and more of the style on a larger map and it finally turned into a complete map at the end, so here it is It's done in Photoshop.

Hope you'll like it. As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Central Uralien.jpg 
Views:	1004 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	62484

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Epic! The relief mountains work really well here. The shape of the land is awesome. I'm not completely sold on the sea labels, it looks a little too modern with the raised effect imo. Otherwise, thumbs up!

I like the sea labels actually, nice logical contrast between them and the land labels. Wonderful map, really like the style

Is there a mistake on the scales or am I reading it wrong? The second one (Moranian Miles) goes 100, 0, 50, 100, 200, etc - shouldn't they be even? Really like the detail of adding in-world measurements too.
    Last edited by Raptori; 03-20-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks Lingon. I tried to build typography carefully. Though the sea labels may look slighlty too modern, they are actually pretty close to the references I had. "Raised effect" or shaded typography were used a lot on maps, especially on titles and big labels,from mid to late 19th century.
    @ Raptori: Thanks! You're right pointing the scale, there's actuatlly a mistake I missed. The scale should go 0, 100, 200 etc. Will fix that
    Last edited by - Max -; 03-20-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Wow, I love it! That's gonna be an inspiration since I'm working on a 19th century style (not necessary realistic, but nevertheless close to...)!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks like cut out from an Atlas. Excellent work again!

Thank you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Wow, I love it! That's gonna be an inspiration since I'm working on a 19th century style (not necessary realistic, but nevertheless close to...)!
    That sounds good

Normally, i am a much bigger fan of older styles of maps. But this one i like...even the mountains (i think those work as they do register easily as mountains whereas i find those caterpillar "mountains" do not).
    The landshape is very cool!

I don't think i can rep. you but have a Like!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

This is just beautiful. In my wildest dreams I aspire to create maps like this one! I really like the mountain effect (it seems, to me, as though it might be a brass rubbing or something, due to the subtle ribbed look) and the differing scales is something that I've never seen before on a map (I don't think!) - it really makes the world more believable in a very subtle, inobtrusive sort of way. Brilliant work.
    If at first you don't succeed; try, try again. If you still don't succeed; go to the tutorials section!

Albums
    Digital Maps
    Traditional Media Maps
    Works In Progress

Thanks guys, comments appreciated !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast