Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: August Entry: Multiple textured paths

Blog Entries

Thanks, done a wooded path now with the set of textures below. The textures came from CGTextures.com and made seamless using my tiling script. Its really not all that difficult to do.

It seems that the challenge rules have changed and there is no limit on the number of tiles to produce so tell me, what shapes of tile path do you need ?

Also, I am sure you get the idea now - what texture types do you think would be a good idea. I might try cobbles on grass for a city base next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodedPath_set.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	5709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodedPath_swatches.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	5710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodedPath_sample.png 
Views:	1235 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	5711  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice job!

I could see a use for mountain paths (several types including snow covered), swamps, jungles, rolling hills (maybe even something like the Scottish Highlands), etc. etc. etc.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Scottish Highlands y'say aye - ah cun take a wee loook fer yeh !

Snow is always hard. Just looks like all white. Jungle does sound fun tho. Could do with some swampy marshy extra dodgy fenland trails for Thrub too.

Some cobbles BTW. C&C's welcome too - are these any good ?

I will do a round up at the end with all the tile shapes and all styles in multiple zips. Probably huge zips tho... hmmm. Will have to add a grid to all of these too just to keep within the rules and the spirit of the task.

Name:	Cobbles_set.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	5714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobbles_sample.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	968.8 KB 
ID:	5715  

I like the cobbles... but I think maybe they need a bit of better blending into the grass?

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Steel, I have been on the search for a piccy to show what I was trying to achieve. I thought the grass would be more elevated than the cobbles and there would be a drop so I added that bit of black in as a vertical steep bit. Like this...

http://www.travelhouseuk.co.uk/blog_...ew_zealand.jpg

Lots of other grass has it just flat growing over the stone so there is no drop. Do you think that it should have faded more into grass. Not such a neat edge ?

BTW is that the kind of rocky path you want for hills ?

Edit -- needs to be more crinkly on the edge tho doesn't it...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-05-2008 at 11:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Faffed with it. Shortened the grass near to the edge and made the edge darker. Added smaller cobbles like gravel and made the path more crinkly. Slightly toned down the red in the cobbles too. Maybe its nowhere near to what you had in mind... but anyway - onto snow trodden path in snowdrift. I am expecting this to be a little more difficult but I might be surprised.... hopefully.

Name:	Cobbles_sample2.png 
Views:	572 
Size:	980.4 KB 
ID:	5724  

I like this version much better, the black along the edge to give it some height definitely helps. And yes that photo would be a good example of a rocky path thru hills (or anywhere else I would think).

I wonder if you could put some kind of path or stroke along the edge of the path with some kind of brush to show grass hanging over the edges some? But that may not be worth the effort, and I might just be going overboard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I wonder if you could put some kind of path or stroke along the edge of the path with some kind of brush to show grass hanging over the edges some? But that may not be worth the effort, and I might just be going overboard.
    This technique shades by source gray level so where its a shade of gray you paint a bit of texture down so doing dashed lines on the edge is not easy unless you also combine the source with a polka dot type pattern or something like that. The idea is to use these as a base and then put tokens on top which might be characters but could also be trees and bushes too. What I find the hardest with token based apps is the floor. You could draw it with a CAD like interface but it doesn't fit so good with nice textured tokens so being able to quickly create that floor from a simple pattern is really handy. Apart from showing the technique I am also developing a set of textures and scripts to make these esp for the CWBP towns and places like that. Trying to kill two birds with one stone again.

Anyway - snow... what do you think of this one ?

Name:	Snow_sample.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	5730  

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast