Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: August Entry: Multiple textured paths

Blog Entries

Post August Entry: Multiple textured paths

I thought that I would throw my hat into the ring again but I thought that I would veer slightly off track from the purist best tile approach and go with something that would be the most useful to the most people - since that is what the idea of 'geomorphic' tiles are all about. Incidentally, where does that word come from w.r.t tiles for RPG ? Shouldn't it be isomorphic or something like that instead ???

I thought about it and I will produce 8 x 7"x7" tiles so that there is a square in the middle of each edge and then you can rotate the tiles for more options. I thought that it would be better to have 9 tiles in a 3x3 grid but then I forgot that you can print these out multiple times and have as many of them as you want to print. I will do a 9th tile but it will be the 'blank' tile with no path on it all all so thats kinda outside of the rules - i.e. its a bonus tile...

I reckon that you could tackle this challenge in many ways of which the hardcore way is to meticulously draw each one but I thought I would present a way to semi-automate the process. This will be useful to me as I could apply it to paths not strictly in a 7x7 grid and therefore push my CWBP stuff along further more easily. Well, we will see if that pops out of this process.

For now - I have just got a bit of normal 5mm gridded paper out and sketched my tiles. I have tried get get one of each type in there. Actually as Gamerprinter has already noted 8 is not very many is it !

So here are some straights, T's, crossroads, clearings, bends to left and then right, an 'S' shape etc and then the last bonus one is blank.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_Small.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	5654  

Blog Entries

Now I have chopped and trimmed them out to get individual tiles. Then for each one I have set them as a greyscale, used contrast to get rid of the grid, brushed out the corner marks and resized them to 256x256 each.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	BnW_Small.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	5657  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Surely you are doubling up a little with 1 and 6 (counting left to right from the top left corner)? You could swap one out and put in a different design.

Blog Entries

Oh yes , that one was supposed to bend the other way so that I had a right-hander and a left-hander. I'll just flip that in X & Y and that should fix that.

Thanks...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-03-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Um, can't you do all of your left and right bends with one corner? I'm pretty sure you don't need two corners at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Um, can't you do all of your left and right bends with one corner? I'm pretty sure you don't need two corners at all.
    Actually I am not sure - maybe your right...

Yes - crikey ! Ok, so spare tile then Shall I make a small corner and not such a horseshoe type one instead. I could see players wondering why going forwards needs to much back tracking. I'll edit this piccy below in a mo...

There, big bend and small bend. Sorry about that Torstan, I really thought I needed one.

Name:	BnW_Small2.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	5659  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-03-2008 at 09:25 AM.

No problem at all. Glad to be of help.

Blog Entries

Now I have blurred them and scaled them each to 2048x2048 in size.

I created a nice noise map and added 40% of the noise map to 60% of the tile. This gives a noisy version of it. Then by using contrast I stretched that at the midpoint back to black and white again.

Now we have the same shape only about 10x the size and with crinkly edges to it.

Name:	BnW_Noise.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	5670  

Blog Entries

Ok, so far, so straight forward. But now I am going to show some trick that I have been using for ages and have some special tools to help with but can be done in any paint package if slightly more laboriously. I also noticed that Ghalev said he uses this sort of thing and was talking about using it for hatching so ill start with that as an example but it gets more fun a little later.

So taking our black and white crinkly masks I blur them quite a bit to give the set below and I have also drawn and scanned some sample hatches and then pushed through my seamless tiler script.

Name:	Blur1.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	5672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hatching_swatches.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	5673  

Blog Entries

So taking different shades of grey we can mask in / blend different textures onto them and you can automate this so ill try to chug out some interesting stuff based on this. This one only looks alright up close up but ill sort out some better stuff later.

Name:	Hatching_sample.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	5677  

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast