Thread: The city-states around the Middle Sea

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Default The city-states around the Middle Sea

I know, I know, awfully unoriginal name
    But if you'll forgive the name, here's my newest map. I wanted to make something more realistic than I usually do, and also challenge myself with a pure black/white. The waves seem to be a bit of a love or hate thing, so feel free to do either

As usual, it's an ink drawing with Photoshop labels, and the font I used is Blackmoor Let.

Thanks everyone who commented on the WIP and the "Semi-realistic medieval experiment thingy"!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Middle Sea4.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	447.0 KB 
ID:	62488

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice map, Lingon. The font looks good on labels (though less on the title to my tastes).

Nice and clean! You've found the good way to use the waves, and the rest is well drawn (as usual).

Nice map. Same as above, really like the font and the overall style of the map.

Cheers, much appreciated!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

I agree with Max. My first thought when I saw this was actually "Oh, a map from the Wild West!" because of the font. As for the waves, maybe if you'd drawn a few out on the sea, as kind of a fade out, it would have worked a bit better. This way to me it seems a little like relief lines which makes me think the coastlines are mountains.

Sorry for the (too) late critique here, been busy, so I didn't have the time to post in the WIP.

Still, great map. Thumbs up!

Hm, wild west? There was a revival for medieval scripts in the 19th century, but… to me this font feels completely medieval
    I did consider doing what you suggest with the waves, but I decided not to as it could make it look like there are tiny islands there.
    Thanks for the thumbs