Thread: The World of Deutero

Help The World of Deutero

Hello! This is my very first post on this forum.

I have been designing the details of this world for a couple of years, but I am yet to lay where everything is on its map! So, I have taken some output from a fractal map generator (I forget which one; no doubt the peoples here can remind me) and put it through some Photoshopping.

I have no experience in climate science, so I'd like to ask for help working out realistic climates for the regions of this world.

I like the landmass as well as the nice colors. The main thing I think you need to do is add to it, give your map a story. Make it a place that people would want to explore. Labeling always helps with that. I don't see any rivers or other icons, If you were to add that to the map I think it would help to make your map seem more interesting.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

^^ What Domino said.

As far as climates, we'd probably need to know how big this landmass is, where it sits on the globe, and where the largest mountain ranges are before any useful advice there could be given.

Welcome to Guild, and have some rep for jumping right in with a map!

Guild Adept

As Diamond says, need more info for climate. Assuming the planet is earth-like, get your wind directions and current directions by where it sits on the globe (in relation to the equator, tropics lines, arctic lines or whatever necessary) and then plot out mountains. That gives at least a little to work with. Don't know where your mountains are? Consider plate tectonics if you want to go down that cartographic rabbit hole. Or, plot you mountains and just assume tectonics explain it, LOL.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Thanks for the replies.

As is, that's the whole world (40,000 km at the equator). This works out to approx 20 km/pixel.

I've been writing the story of this world for nearly two years now, I think. I've been building it both for my own stories and for an RPG setting. I have a rough map of the early migration routes but I'm not sure how well it works. I may redo it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deutero_migration_sepia.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	916.3 KB 
ID:	62476

A simple explanation:

Krodanoi are the first intelligent people, plains-dwelling felines that hunted megafauna.
    Syldanar are magically transfigured Krodanos exiles.
    Myrdanar divided from the Syldanar in a civil war.
    Rhuz are cave-dwelling hominids with a distinct evolutionary origin. Khazan and Rhayud are their two major nations.
    Humans are the product of a magical genetic engineering project directed by the gods.

You might wonder why humans are an engineered species. The gods were human on their original world. That world was destroyed, and when they came to this one they found no humans. A few millenia of influence later, a few scientifically-minded gods managed to recreate themselves, or at least an apparent semblance of the original humans.
    Last edited by Umbral Reaver; 03-20-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

That's a very interesting landshape for a world map! Most land on the southern hemisphere is quite unusual

There's one effect that I'm quite fond of, if I do say so myself:

The edge effect is produced by the following steps:

1. Start with a white background. This is your water.
    2. Paint the landmass in black.
    3. Use the wand select to select the landmass and copy it to a new layer, called 'land mask'. It will usually be invisible, but is extremely handy to refer to when applying effects you don't want bleeding into the water.
    4. Do the same for the water, and call it 'water mask'.
    5. With the original white and black layer, use detect edges and set the line thickness to 2 px. (or more, if you like). Call this layer 'coastline'.
    6. Duplicate land mask and paint it in your land colours as you like.
    7. Duplicate water mask and paint it in your water colours as you like.
    8. Duplicate coastline and place the layer above the land and water masks at somewhere around 50% transparency.

The result is an edge effect that is half water colour and half land colour, nicely outlining your landmasses without being as obtrusive as a solid colour.

Yes, I like to keep a lot of layers full of useful phases of the image's construction, even if those layers end up invisible.

awesome tip.... your steps are easy to follow.... how did you get such an interesting coastline shape? with all the little tiny spec islands and craggy edges? did you hand draw it all?