Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooded Sanctum

Default Flooded Sanctum

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flooded_Sanctum-650.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	62561

Ok, so this map is a rehash off of a map that I found on the Wizards of the Coast site. When I first looked at their original map (above) I thought that it was a cool concept and that I could possibly use some of the elements in it. Then today - while playing Hearthstone, I decided to take a crack at touching it up.

Name:	Flooded_Sanctum_detail-01.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	62564

Basically I used the original map as a template and then rebuilt the map using my own version. I wasn't too enthused with how the original author did the walls and surrounding stone/dirt layers and thought that retouching them with shadows and a different texture/color would help things 'pop' off the page a bit more. Granted, this map was just a simple download to a module or something that Wizards put out for people to use. Whoever the author was probably didn't spend that much time on it and there's no problem (IMO) taking one person's map and seeing what you can do with it.

The two versions below are my attempts to recreate the style of the above map with different color and shading variations to depict the idea that this is a water-filled cave that one would have to sail / row into, land the boat and then walk in and around the caves within.

It was a neat little project and I even made two variations on the color schemes because I couldn't pick out which one I liked more.

Comments welcome.

Which one do you guys like more?

Thanks!
    -GP

Name:	flooded-cave-01-650.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	367.2 KB 
ID:	62562

Name:	flooded-cave-02-650.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	463.5 KB 
ID:	62563
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

I like the darker one better, the background texture doesn't draw the eye as much so I focus only on the elements of the map, but I'm generally a dark background lover. Your pillars are much better than the original, but I like the black line style lining on the water more on the original, it might be a simple matter of the thickness of your water lines vs. the color I couldn't say. Your more natural cut stairs are very good looking.

Name:	flooded-cave-04-650.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	402.7 KB 
ID:	62565

Water lines like this?

Yes those ones! I think the thickness of yours is a bit much to my eye I'd like them thinner. Purely personal preference in all likelihood. A nice improvement over the original regardless.

I agree with madcowchef.

Name:	flooded-cave-05-650.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	393.8 KB 
ID:	62566

Ok - so I can see the points about the thinner lines for the water. They don't need to be as bold and as fuzzy to convey 'ripples' or 'waves'.

How's this?
    -GP

Guild Journeyer

I really like that look. Nice and dark without obscuring details. If I had to pick one thing that looks a little off, it's the 'beach' area. The water's edge line seems a bit heavy.

Nice map!

Quote Originally Posted by mthomas768 View Post
    If I had to pick one thing that looks a little off, it's the 'beach' area. The water's edge line seems a bit heavy.
    I have to agree with Thomas, here. Right now, it looks like a cliff overhanging water far below it. All that's required is to match the boundary lines with the new wave lines, and then I would tell you to send this to WotC and ask for a job.

Name:	flooded-cave-06-650.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	391.9 KB 
ID:	62903

Ok - so with this version I followed the advice and dropped the line outlining the beach. I think this did help a lot as the 'beach' level looks as though it is on the same level (IMO) as the water.

Thoughts?

-GP

Guild Journeyer

I agree -- I think that looks better! Nice map!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast