Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Continent

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Continent

Hello everyone! Working on a personal piece here intended for a game i'm attempting to create. I created the land mass loosely based on plate tectonics and land form observation of earth. Watched some documentaries on netflix so now im an expert right?... The realm borders follow natural land marks such as rivers and mountains which i also plan on doing a map version of.

i'm hoping to get some feed back on the style and suggestions for improvement. I plan on giving it a nice border next and adding more ship symbols. I dont want it to look too crowded though so let me know if i go overboard please.

Question: is it wrong to put rhumblines around a continental map? i love the look of a map with rhumblines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	62568  
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

I love the colors for this map! I like the rhumblines I think they add to the style of this map. Although I do think that this map would look even better with a good border. I love this style though, a really fantastic map!

Really nice. I think you should warp the projection of the continent on the globe though, at the moment it's identical to the main map to my eyes.

I don't have any problem with rhumb lines on continental maps, though I always wonder if they're accurate (on all maps, not just continental ones). This page has a good explanation (though I've only skimmed through it), interestingly it looks like they should only be straight on a mercator projection.

Wip Progress

That is one excellent link Raptori. I have a clear understanding of how they work on different projections now. Thanks for sharing it.

I took your advice and warped the continent on the stereographic projection so now the main map should have a more realistic mercatorial (is that a word) feel to it and the rhumb lines would make sense to any would be navigator.

NEXT: i think i may need to scale the land mass down so it wont be overlapping the border. I also want to spice up the border a bit more and add a compass rose.

Any suggestions for improvement?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arillia.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	62658  
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Slylok View Post
    That is one excellent link Raptori. I have a clear understanding of how they work on different projections now. Thanks for sharing it.

I took your advice and warped the continent on the stereographic projection so now the main map should have a more realistic mercatorial (is that a word) feel to it and the rhumb lines would make sense to any would be navigator.

NEXT: i think i may need to scale the land mass down so it wont be overlapping the border. I also want to spice up the border a bit more and add a compass rose.

Any suggestions for improvement?
    You're welcome! I spent a good few hours reading through that site the other day when I found it, amazing amount of detail.

The mini-map looks really good to me now, and as a whole it looks great. Can't wait to see more

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'd leave that overlap in - it's done all the time in cartography, and frankly I think it looks cool.

At this point I'd be careful not to overload the map. If you put a compass rose in, I'd keep it fairly small and maybe try and stick it in that bottom left corner to balance out the stuff on the right.

I agree with Diamond, but just wanted to say that this is looking beautiful so far.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I really like what you're doing here Slylok!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

I think that, if you are going to keep the boundary overlap, you may want to have it overlap in more than one spot. That way, it looks intentional and stylistic, rather than "the continent was too high, so I erased this little bit and hoped no one will notice." I really love the color scheme you have going on, as well as the decoration around the globe. The books, candle, and skull really add to the aesthetic of the map. Great job, Slylok!
    Last edited by jkat718; 03-30-2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Missing an "o" in "too."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast