Thread: I'm creating floorplans for a White House/Downing St esque building. Please critique!

Wip I'm creating floorplans for a White House/Downing St esque building. Please critique!

I've been working on this for a while now, but recently scrapped what I had and started afresh.

I'm trying to make this as realistic as possible, so I would love some feedback as to how I've gotten on so far.

Currently this is a work in progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HlPp9FF.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	573.6 KB 
ID:	62571

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXLdoUo.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	518.1 KB 
ID:	62572

Alternate Imgur gallery link.

Guild Journeyer

Default More questions than critiques...

I'm no expert at government buildings, so it looks like I have more questions than actual critique!

I am not sure if the meeting room off of the East Crosshall is exclusive to the 'Cabinet Executive', but it might be nice to have a way out of the Cabinet Executive's suite without needing to go through the meeting room.
    What computer program are you using to draw/develop this? How many floors total will there be? Are you fashioning this off of a real or fantasy government?

I know you said you just restarted, but it would be nice to see windows and some hatching of the walls, to better understand how the place works. Right now the wall thickness, food prep area, anterooms, etc. combined with the security areas, CCTV room and freight elevators are giving me a feeling of 19th century English construction renovated to meet modern necessities. For some reason the pool feels a little out of place in a government building. I may simply be unfamiliar with your government though. :p

I would also like to point out the interior corner at Vice PM and Housekeeping offices. Those interior corners can be tough to make useful, and although this may not be the most efficient layout it is at least elegant!

It is looking like a well thought-out plan!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

You could probably enter the current Lite challenge with this WIP

Quote Originally Posted by RedKettle View Post
    I'm no expert at government buildings, so it looks like I have more questions than actual critique!

I am not sure if the meeting room off of the East Crosshall is exclusive to the 'Cabinet Executive', but it might be nice to have a way out of the Cabinet Executive's suite without needing to go through the meeting room.
    What computer program are you using to draw/develop this? How many floors total will there be? Are you fashioning this off of a real or fantasy government?

I know you said you just restarted, but it would be nice to see windows and some hatching of the walls, to better understand how the place works. Right now the wall thickness, food prep area, anterooms, etc. combined with the security areas, CCTV room and freight elevators are giving me a feeling of 19th century English construction renovated to meet modern necessities. For some reason the pool feels a little out of place in a government building. I may simply be unfamiliar with your government though. :p

I would also like to point out the interior corner at Vice PM and Housekeeping offices. Those interior corners can be tough to make useful, and although this may not be the most efficient layout it is at least elegant!

It is looking like a well thought-out plan!
    Good catch on the Cabinet Exec's office. I might have to move a toilet..

I'm using Photoshop to create this. It's..really not the best software to use for floorplans, especially the way I'm doing it (completely with the brush tool), but its good enough.

It's based more off Downing Street than anything else, so great catch with the 19thC English construction, because thats exactly the era I had in mind!

Guild Member

For 'realistic' only: the PM at the minimum, the VPM probably, and perhaps one or two others should have private WCs.

The VPM's office is smaller than that of any of his staff? Nope, somebody's getting switched.

There's no 'barrier' between the waiting room and the PM's office. For that matter there's none between the common area (west corridor) and the PM's door. Security is alternately screaming and crying about this. There are a few options here, all require a bit of rework. Myself, I'd consider shifting interior walls a bit so the private secretary switches places with the waiting room while keeping the same space. This also puts that person between visitors and the stairs going up. Another much more extreme version is put the PM on the north, put the private secretary in the middle, and combine the present PM office, waiting area, and secretary's office to make a new cabinet room - which just so happens to have an out-of-sight corridor to the cabinet dining room.

You get the idea. More WCs, more security design.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kirkspencer View Post
    more security design.
    I'd have to agree with kirk in that a government building such as this
    would place a lot of emphasis on security. This actually looks like a
    pretty large building in comparison to, say, the White House.

As for the style of the map however, I like how clean it is. This
    would be pretty difficult to read if you were using an absurd amount
    of detail. As it is, nice and practical.

Best of luck
    Foremost
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Both the White House and 10 Downing are pretty huge, bigger than you'd expect.

White House: 55,000 sq ft or 5,100 sq m
    10 Downing: 72,500 sq ft or 6,750 sq m.

Guild Apprentice

"Vice-Prime Minister"? Not "Deputy Prime Minister"?

Blame my reaction on continuing exposure to a local Westminster-style government in Ottawa...