Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Planet Charlen

Default The Planet Charlen

I'm currently working on several maps of a solar system I'm creating. This is the second one so far. I will say this again though, I am not a science or math wiz, I tried to the best of my knowledge to get the as scientifically possible as I could, forgive me if there are any mistakes.

I tried out a kind of rust effect on the border I'm not sure about it, if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charlen.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	62576

I'm really enjoying this series of maps. Maybe a little more deep shadow around the edges of the planets, they terminate a bit bright for me. The rust effect could be fun if its intended to look like a map hanging up someplace, but if you are going to rust the frame you should show other signs of aging as well, fading of the color of the print, water damage, or if its hanging in a public space some cracks and graffiti if its under plastic protection, maybe screws for affixing it (with one missing). Good texturing on the planets they have that feeling of hanging in space like heavenly bodies with the rich colors and sharp edges.

Thanks madcowchef! Those are some really cool ideas, I will have to try them out.

Besides what madcowchef said, I would add a shadow "night/day" - even slight - in order to reinforce the spheric feeling. And I would chose a brighter grey for the text (a bit hard to read imo).
    That said, it's a pleasant map!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Nice stuff! I like the layout of the whole thing, with the horisontal band of planets and the diagonals of stars in the background.
    Space maps obviously isn't my area of expertise, but I noticed a couple of things that I think could be improved. The biggest is that the text is nearly impossible to read, being gray on a background of white, grey and black. I'd suggest making the text black and putting a white glow around it, to give the eye some more contrast to focus on.
    The star field would be more interesting with some color in it. I like that it's more densely starry than space maps often are, but with only black and white, it blends together into grey when you focus on the planets. Some nebulas would spice it up.
    Regarding the frame, I think the rust effect is good, but the non-rusted parts doesn't feel like metal to me. Personally, I would have gone a different direction with the frame, something very basic.
    I also agree with Ilanthar about the nightside shadow on the planets.

Thanks Lingon and Ilanthar! I'm not sure what you mean about the night/day shade, but you guys or girls gave really great advise! I just need to find some time to work on this map again...

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Look up at the moon; it only appears completely round once per month, all other nights it's partially shadowed. That shadow, when used in a picture, is what makes a round shape look spherical

Oh okay, so make some of them more like crescent moons or half moons.

So I did a few changes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charlen3.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	62656

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    I like the format. It has given me several ideas. Thank you.

Tracker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast