Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Planet Charlen

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Yeah! Great shading on the planets. The splashes of color in the star field are perfect. I'm still not sure about the frame, it's definitely better now but I think it's too uniformly dark to look like metal. What if you crank up the contrast on it really high?

Thanks Lingon! I did a little more work on the frame. I added bolts along the edge but I still have more work to do on them. I also felt like the whole map was a little dark so I increases the brightness and lowered the contrast. Does that make the metal look better?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charlen4.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	62741

I like the color! I liked the high contrast lower brightness, its a bit bright to my mole eyes now. The additions to the frame is really shaping up, could use a tiny shadow to hint weather the picture is glued on top of a metal frame or mounted under it.

Thanks madcowchef! I decided to try and make a cracked glass effect over the map. After messing around with a bunch of different things this is what I came up with. I like it but I think it might take away from the map itself? Thoughts?

Name:	Charlenglass.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	62823

Very fun. It does distract from the map a bit but also adds a lot of character, as such I guess it depends on the use of the map weather or not I'd keep it. As something you could point to saying you see this hanging on the wall its perfect, as something people are calling up on their intergalactic smart phone probably not.

Guild Journeyer

Have you played around with outlining / back-filling your text with a darker color border to blot out some of the stars? I'm finding the text a bit difficult to read because of the stars showing through the text areas.

Nice map overall!

That is a good idea! Thanks. I quickly fixed that, and worked on the broken glass a little more to make it more subtle.

Name:	Charlentextblack.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	62830

mthomas768 had the right suggestion there, the text is popping out much more now.

That was just the solution that I needed for the text. I added a few more little details and I cleaned up a few spots. I can't think of anything else I need to do, so unless some sees something that needs to be fixed or has a really cool idea I think I'm done.

Name:	Charlendone?.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	62849

Guild Journeyer

That's a big improvement. I might even use a bit more backfill, but I have old eyes.

There's a typo in the description of Falrenel, 'satelite' instead of 'satellite'. And actually that line of text is a good example of something that's still a bit hard to read.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast