Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A fantasy world

Default A fantasy world

Hey everybody

I spent the last two days making the landmasses, those small islands are terrible to do! I know there isn't much to judge, but I thought I'll post it anyway
    By the way, I wanted to make some fancy parchment with the text and nice borders and all, but I still lack experience and skill.

Two things I'd like to say...

First: the world is hollow, I guess most of you know how it works. In this system there are two holes where the poles should be. The thing is: citizens (most of them?) don't know it. Basically, a ship could travel to inner earth without even noticing it (except for mirages seen on the point where the two suns meet). Climate, temperature and all other things are also modified, but I really don't care a lot (at least not now) since it is a fantasized version of our Earth.

Second: english is not my language (actually a friend of mine did the description for me, thank you man!), so tell me if there are any errors.

(There are no names deliberately)
    (Oh yes, if someone could point me into the right directions on how to make those wonderful borders...)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fantasy world map.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	1,017.7 KB 
ID:	62578

Great continent shapes, and nice colors. However the terrain could be a bit more varied (i.e. hills, forests mountains, rivers, lakes etc). Also, you'll find a link to making map borders in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Cheers,
    -arsheesh

Name:	Fantasy world v2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	707.4 KB 
ID:	62665

Look what I did thanks to you arsheesh!
    Yeah I know they look terrible but at least it's better than a 1px black border
    Oh and yeah, the black and white things I couldn't line up them correctly and I screwed up

I removed some of the islands near the far left continent, they seemed too much.

Great continent shapes, and nice colors.
    Thank you man My main objective was to make some cool shapes, and I really like them

However the terrain could be a bit more varied (i.e. hills, forests mountains, rivers, lakes etc).
    The thing is: this gigantic map should only represents the shapes and the ocean. When I'm going to do more precise things (like one region or even one continent who knows) I'll make everything clear. Thank you so much btw

(that runic/kind of font should says "my house" ^^)

I'm really interested in this map. Is there any tectonic motion to this world? I assume there couldn't be since the whole world is hollow. In that case, how did the continents form? Is there some kind of deity who created the world this way?

You know, there are a lot of theories involving holes at the poles, seismic activity, etc. etc. (in case of real theories)
    Btw I literally have no idea about the tectonic motion. Why couldn't there be if the world is hollow? The center of gravity (and also what we could consider the center of the earth) is just at the middle of the "two worlds".

Posting some pics to give you an idea because whenever I said "hollow earth" people thought that when you fell in the holes at the poles you'd fall in the center of earth, lol

Name:	hollowearthbernard.gif 
Views:	108 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	62800

Name:	InnerSunOfHollowEarth13.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	62799

Quote Originally Posted by Backtired View Post
    Btw I literally have no idea about the tectonic motion. Why couldn't there be if the world is hollow? The center of gravity (and also what we could consider the center of the earth) is just at the middle of the "two worlds".
    The motion of tectonic plates is caused by gigantic currents within the molten mantle of the planet, which are a result of thermal convection. If you remove the core of the planet, you remove the driving force behind plate tectonics.

Name:	mantlerecy.gif 
Views:	91 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	62808

Nice idea though, I'm sure some other legitimate explanation for the plate movements could be created for this situation!

I haven't removed the core of the planet, just modified it
    Couldn't it be symmetrical, like this little sketch I just made?

Name:	hollow earth.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	62810

Assuming it's big enough (i.e. deep enough) then sure, I was thinking that when I wrote the last sentence! I have no clue just how big the core would have to be for it to be molten, and also no clue what would happen to how the currents would move within a core shaped like that. Essentially you've created a Dyson Sphere and cut the top and bottom off if I'm reading it right

Thank you man
    I was thinking about having a partial fading sun in the centre, so I could explain the day/night cycle. Or it could be a global fade, as in it is 10 hours ON, then 2 hours slowly starts to fade and other 10 hours OFF, then 2 hours to light up (just a theory). I'm still deciding.

The distance (d) should be big enough for people crossing the hole to not see the other part. Or maybe it is not that big and there is some kind of mirage involving the suns/lights/whatever. Thing is: strange phenomens start to happen when near the north or south pole. Maybe a traveller could find a new continent (while in reality he is just in the inner part of the planet; well in this case he should have seen the strange behaviour of the "sun") or new kind of animals/plants/whatever in islands near the poles, etc.

Name:	North.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	62811

I like the sound of a fading sun! Most of the time this kind of thing has a series of solar blocking panels, like in this image:

Name:	11248px-Larry_Nivens_Ringwelt.svg.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	62812

Yeah sounds interesting

Have you worked out where the light on the outside would come from? Another star perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast