Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historical Map Creation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Historical Map Creation

Hello everyone

First of all let me please state that in case this thread has a bad history to repeat itself, i'd kindly ask a moderator(or anyone on the forum) to guide me in the already created threads.

So to my question, recently i have developed an obsession towards making maps, and 3 days ago i decided to recreate historical maps of my own country.

The inspiration was mainly this style of map of Poland, where i'd do the maps of countries from the region, but knowing that i'm still a novice and i'd take me quite some time, i decided to make something more simpler. I grabbed a blank map of south-eastern europe, with rivers and all that, and i am stuck and dont know what to do next.

http://i.imgur.com/U9lUgdR.jpg <- something like this only in a smaller region
    http://i.imgur.com/4el4sj4.jpg <- First though of how to make in which style
    http://i.imgur.com/9feDpFS.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/3NNtkvZ.jpg <- The style i want to make it currently using the same map only blank

Can someone tell me, what is best, Illustrator or Photoshop? Because on the third map i can clearly see its made in Illustrator, but i cant seem to grasp the technique when i try it with another blank map

Thank you and cheers!

All three of those definitely look vector to me (i.e. Illustrator). It might be worth grabbing a vector map from wikipedia and opening it up so you can see how they're structured - look for maps with the extension ".svg", which means "scalable vector graphic", and you'll be able to open them in Illustrator/Inkskape/some other vector editor and see the inner workings

So i found another blank map i want to work with. But what now? how do i start making it look like professional map like the ones i posted, as specially the third one?

These may sound stupid questions, but google was no use for me when trying to find any tutorials. The style i am trying to replicate is the one in the 4th image, but with clear defined borders (how to make borders in Illustrator is another mystery i cannot solve)

please help

Could you provide a link to the map? That way I can see what you're looking at. Assuming the file is constructed in the way I'm expecting, to add borders you should select the shape you want to add the border to, and add a stroke to it, as described in this Adobe help article.

Don't worry about asking anything, there'll always be someone here glad to help
    Last edited by Raptori; 03-24-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Yes, this is the map

http://i.imgur.com/pWrBZnV.png

is there any problem that it isnt in SVG format?

Yeah, the problem is that png is a raster format, you need a vector format.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raster_vs_vector_surveying.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	62710

Raster images are formed by a bunch of dots (called pixels), while vector formats are formed by a bunch of lines using maths. The above image illustrates the difference between these two types of image format - the enlarged "VS" on the left reveals the pixel based structure of a raster image format such as png, while the enlarged "VS" on the right still has crisp and clear lines since that's what the vector format is made from.

The reason you need a vector image is that you want the lines for the borders. Wikipedia has a load of open source maps here, just find an svg one that looks like it has what you need and try it out

nonono i want that map in special because i like its design overall.

I just converted it in SVG format, but..its...all black and white now? what did i do wrong? how do i upload it?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

You can't change a raster format (for instance png) to a vector format (for instance svg) with just saving from .png to .svg

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    You can't change a raster format (for instance png) to a vector format (for instance svg) with just saving from .png to .svg
    nonono, i actually made it into a svg, with converter online and stuff

Its now black and white instead of blue and white, i wish i could upload but i dont know how

Quote Originally Posted by ZimZam View Post
    nonono, i actually made it into a svg, with converter online and stuff

Its now black and white instead of blue and white
    In that case you'll need to open up the file in Illustrator or Inkscape or whatever vector image editor you have and change the colors of the elements manually.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast