Thread: 3D Ski Resort

Question 3D Ski Resort

Hello from Hokkaido, I have started a 3D map from traced contour lines. The traced lines were brought into Sketchup, and the faces were raised to the appropriate heights. The Sandbox tool was utilized and voila 3D Mountain Map. Now I am trying to get my head around something. Projecting a satellite image onto my model. I can do it, but the results are very rough. I will post a picture here, and if anyone has any ideas on why this strangeness is happening, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks for checking out my post.

Ryan Mentzos
    Ⓒ 2008 ideapark.jp
    http://ideapark.jp
    Last edited by ideapark; 08-03-2008 at 08:45 AM.

Very interesting look at rough hills. I have no ideas for you on the 3d pasting, I have always worked with pretty flat images, but I am fascinated by how uneven the hills are and the challenge of making it look right once you have the image on it. Keep us updated as you play with it.

Yeah, it's fascinating all right. But it is time consuming beyond belief. I don't know if I should be building this thing in SketchUp. It's my first model, and I have learned about other programs that might do the job better. I still have my original vector line work from Illustrator. I don't mind starting again. I have Bryce 5.5 just waiting to be tried out. Anyone have a tip for a mac user. And I don't mean the "buy a PC" tip. * )

http://ideapark.jp

There is a "smooth faces" option you can set in sketchup that might help if you intend to pursue this method....

One of the sketchup masters here might have a quick reference as I only know enough to be dangerous...

-Rob A>

I just wanted to tell you that I finally got it all worked out. Check out www.nisekoatlas.com. This is just the control module for another site, and will
    be moved to http://ljhookerniseko.com as soon as Dwight is ready. Thank you for all of the support. I finally bought a decent set of 3D software. The folks at Strata CX make a great kit, and the customer service is amazing!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's nice. I hope you do some more.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Info The Niseko Atlas

The Long wait is over.
    The consent is 100%.
    Our teaser site is up.
    Print & Publish deal...

http://nisekoatlas.com
    Last edited by ideapark; 02-22-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: missed //

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That interface takes a little getting used to.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Interface

Steel General,

Thank you for your comments.
    The interface is a work in progress.

Best Regards,

Ryan