Thread: Growth of Amsterdam, 17th century

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Link Growth of Amsterdam, 17th century

Here's a nice little animation of how Amsterdam expanded during the 17th century.

Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=372923286184019

They sure do like their canals in Amsterdam. That was really interesting to watch.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    They sure do like their canals in Amsterdam. That was really interesting to watch.
    I don't think it's so much a matter of Amsterdamers liking canals (though most do, the city is beautiful and original because of them) so much as it's the fact that the city would flood and get washed away without them. They're the skeletal structure of what make the place inhabitable for humans.

The video was great! I love those simulated models where you can see how the landscapes change over time, whether naturally or via human interaction.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Very interesting! Great find. It was cool to see how a strongly planned city expands; new outer canal, new wall, new moat, tear down old wall, connect new outer canal with old one… It feels sort of counter-intuitive, I always imagine city growth to be very organic, but it obviously isn't always. This will be very useful when mapping that kind of city. Thanks for posting it, Blaidd!

(Anyone else feeling a need for an Assassin's Creed/The Sabouteur style game in 17th century Amsterdam now?)