Thread: (WIP) Overland Map

Default (WIP) Overland Map

Let me state upfront that I am a newb at this. But needing maps for a Pathfinder game I run, I figured I might as well start learning. Anywho, this is a map I have in progress. Back in 1998 I drew the original map for a campaign I ran. 16 years later I was cleaning out the attic and there it was, stuffed in a paper protector sleeve at the bottom of a trunk. So, instead of starting from scratch, I figured that would make a great jumping point for a map I needed. But the more I looked at it, the less impressed I was. So, I took a picture of the section I needed (it is actually 12 sections in size), slapped it into GIMP, and went to town. This is what I have so far. This map is actually for a sky realm, where the clouds are 'islands' floating around. Down below is a massive void of red, black, and gray swirling fog (they have no idea what is down there). But yeah, like I said, first try doing this on the comp, so be nice ;P I would love some input or ideas though. I am having a hard time trying to give it that 3d feel so that it looks like a floating island. I hope to put in some more texture too. I suppose I am having fun, so there is that at least. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_1.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	589.5 KB 
ID:	62499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_pt3.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	872.8 KB 
ID:	62500  

The area below is currently more of an eye drawer than your main map, I'd darken and desaturated it so its less of a focal point. The rocks under the land mass could be textured and shadowed to help give depth. Your very consistent in your perspective with the land trees and mountains, I think that is working good for you. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the water features in.

Thanks, madcowchef. Once you said that the area under the islands was a bit of an eyesore, I noticed it more and totally agreed. I replaced it with a fog. I plan to lighten it up a bit more and add in a bit of redish tint. That aside, I cleaned up some edges, added a bit of color to the mountains, and started putting in the water. I will have more updates soon, but 3rd shift is a bummer, and I am off to work.

Name:	map_pt4.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	62504  

That's a big improvement over the first! I'd tinker with you textures a bit, consider adding some highlights and shadows to the edges of your land or where it meets your lakes and streams, but looks like you are making good progress.

Bit of an update. Some obvious changes. Plan on working on the lighting some more, and putting in small towns and such next.

Name:	map_pt4.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	62608  

This is looking quite fun. I don't think any player would complain about getting a handout like that. The vegetation growing down the cliffs works especially well, very pleasing to the eye. The main improvement I can think of is the balance between ink lined features and texture like or "painted" seems inconsistent. I think picking one or the other would help unify the map a bit more, but would also probably be a lot of work at this point.

Yeah, I noticed the issue between lining and painting as well, but I merged all the layers before doing the shadows and minor stuff without thinking about it at the time. So swapping it out would be a huge pain now. But I figure this is really more of a learning experience more than anything. And I will have more maps and plenty to do, so think I will try 'painting' them in next time just to see, sort of like I did with the crater area.

Think I am pretty much finished on this one. Learned a lot, which was the main goal. And it will work great for what I needed. I think I will do one of the whole continent / island next, instead of just a small section. Thanks for the input & Help Madcowchef!

Name:	map_finish.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	62671  

Very nicely done