Thread: Kleiner Berg city map in WW2 style - CC3

Guild Journeyer

Wip Kleiner Berg city map in WW2 style - CC3

This is a small city regional map done in CC3 using the WW2 area style in CA85.

Thoughts or feedback on what works or what should be updated?

KenG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kleiner Berg City -3.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	483.4 KB 
ID:	62605  

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Interesting! We don't see too many maps of this time period around here. I think the pixelation is a pretty big issue in this map, if you can fix that somehow it would be a big improvement. I don't know how one does that in CC though, so I'm sorry I can't be more helpful there! I'm not sure forests would be shown on this type of map, I may be wrong but it feels like streets would be of higher priority, and the rural parts could be left blank except for the height lines.
    Kudos for trying something unusual!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

also, I think your layers aren't properly arranged. Looks like the forests overlap with the buildings, roads and railroads layers. That plus the fact that it looks kinda pixelated.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Journeyer

I'll see if I can post a higher resolution version to help some of the pixilation. The forests have a transparency effect on them, that is why they are over the other parts of the city and such.
    Thanks for looking and for the feedback.

KenG

Guild Journeyer

Does this one loo any better?

I changed to a single forest color, rearranged a couple of sheets and it is a bit higher resolution.
    Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks,

KenG

Name:	Kleiner Berg City -4-alt.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	62753  

Guild Member

I think it looks great! However, this is not a map I'm familiar with and I would have liked a legend of some sort to clue me into what the various colors and lines mean.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Your layers still seem to overlap incorrectly. Look at your railroads, for example: while the white segments should be white everywhere, they get a red cast when in the urban areas and a green texture when going through a forest. The forest texture also mixes with the red urban areas. My guess is that your layers are set to multiply (probably because you want them to show the parchmenty texture from below) but that also makes them multiply with each other. A good solution would be to set all your layers to normal, shift the parchment texture to the top and set THAT to multiply. A proposed order:
    - parchment (multiply, 100% opacity)
    - roads (normal, 100% opacity)
    - railroads (normal, 100% opacity)
    - forests (normal, 100% opacity)
    - urban areas (normal, 100% opacity)
    - full white layer

I'm sure that if you try his setup, the color mixing will be eliminated ;-)
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Journeyer

I was thinking that the roads and railways would be overshadowed by the urban and forest areas and that is why I ran them under those layers with the transparency on, but the consensus is that it doesn't look right. So I've popped the roads and railways to the top layer, adjusted the forests so there are no forests in the urban areas and I think did a little better on that pixilation.

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far with this one, Meek75 I'll take your idea and add a legend when I get the other parts sorted out.

Please keep the feedback coming, I'm learning more and more with CC3 on each comment.
    KenG
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Kleiner Berg City -5-50aa.PNG 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	62933