Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah! Lets break some rules!

10 90.91%
  • Nah. I like my little box of rules.

1 9.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Child Commission.

I love the idea of seeing kid's maps, that is something I would really be excited about.

Math and maps go together like peanut butter and jelly. Geometer, distances, projection types, deviations for magnetic north, basically a representation of numeric values for navigation. It would not be hard to find a link between a math class and maps.

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    Math and maps go together like peanut butter and jelly. Geometer, distances, projection types, deviations for magnetic north, basically a representation of numeric values for navigation. It would not be hard to find a link between a math class and maps.
    It seems like your talking about educational maps. IMO, a good idea but it's not the same as a child map.

I was just commenting on pineapples school connection to mathematics. I wasn't suggesting we start a educational map project, I'd probably learn more than the kids if we did that.

Edit to aviod double post: I'm beginning to wonder about the title of this thread every time I see it it gets more humorous. I'm wondering if we really want to commission children. What would they do? You take them with you so you can have an excuse to talk to single mothers at the park?
    Last edited by madcowchef; 04-04-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Guild Member

Let's keep the conversation going about this. It might be too close to the end of the school year to effectively plan something and get enough participants before May/June, but I would love to open the school year with an activity related to this next year.

I already know our kids need more experience with maps, not just from the standpoint of art and math but also from a basic life skills perspective.

If you imagine being a cartographer paired up with a 13-year-old, what would you envision the project looking like?

What if we use some of the younger students and you're paired up with someone who's 8 or 9? I'm almost certain I could get participants either way.

There is an episode of Face Off (On the SyFy channel) where (very good) amateur makeup artists are tasked to create children's "monsters," based off of their drawings. That's basically how I picture this happening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12