Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The High Realm of Stormark

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Default The High Realm of Stormark

Here's a commissioned map I finished today. It's a world where a viking-inspired people conquered everything and now have a globe-spanning empire called Stormark. The client requested the style I used in my Antillia map, so I tried to adapt it for full world mapping, and give it a slightly different feel with the fraktur-ish fonts. Blackmoor Let, Germania and Rapscallion (thanks for the tip, Diamond!), to be exact The rest is made with watercolors and some acrylics, with cities, roads, borders and some tweaks added with Photoshop. I also used the font Rune in the border.

I hope you'll like it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stormark9alt.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	62650

Well I love that border! As always the colors of your map are really nice, the landmasses seem to be rather simple while everything else is busy but I think it works. Great job!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the Vicky towns... there's got to be an interesting story behind that.

I'm the one who commissioned this map and I would like to let you all know that I'm very pleased with the end result.

Working with Gillis was an utter delight. The process of map-making went like a whirlwind, which astonished me since my commission was pretty complex. All the way the process I was kept very well-informed, with sketches and updates at least every few days. Gillis is a true professional who also put forward numerous ideas and suggestions which improved considerably the map, and on top of that the prices he charges are very fair. All in all, I highly recommend Gillis to anyone who may need to commission a map.

Love it. Great borders, lovely subtle watercolors, the whole thing is great. Repped and rated.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I like the Vicky towns... there's got to be an interesting story behind that.
    Those towns are named after a pirate queen from Storish fictional history who seized the Longships Islands and made those islands her base of operations. Her name is Viktoria the Valiant, also known as Valiant Vicky.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice map overall! Though....I personnaly dislike those fraktur fonts.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Really a fine map. But too many different fonts for my taste.

I love your style, Lingon. Your maps are always very much to my liking. Bonus points because your style is very unique here (seeing as you do most of it by hand and not via PS or GIMP).
    Have a Like, and if i can i'll rep. you.
    I love the fonts...all of them.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Very nice, I like the color palette. Though I agree that the multiple fonts are too busy... I always have trouble with fonts, the bane of my existence...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast