Thread: The World of Alhenkell

Guild Member Facebook Connected Lezales's Avatar

Wip The World of Alhenkell

Hey everyone !

A while ago I posted a WIP of my first map. I learned a lot from it but I eventually surrendered to some doubts I had about the landmass. More than a year later I am back with a refined world. My current project is only half of what the world is. It's only the northern continent.

For old time sakes, here is the old thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...alhenkell.html

Now, I've done my coast, some basic stuff to make the map cooler to work on. I've done some sketches. Next step is to get the mountains down. Big thanks to everyone on this website for constant inspiration. I've even took interest in the coastline of certain maps for landshapes idea and coast ideas. Thanks to Coyotemax for the paper texture ! For the first version a year ago, I was using Ramah's mountains and hills which I like very much. I feel like I should try to draw mines but I don't like the results of what I'm doing. Also, Ramah's mountains are so dark they really seem to be standing out a lot. What do you guys think ?

Anyway, here is my current state:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alhenkelldraft2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	4.13 MB 
ID:	62414

As for what you've done since now, I like the continent shape but I find the map a bit too dark for my tastes.
    For the mountains you are planning, I would go with your own creation. It could be difficult and time consuming, but in the end it would be much more rewarding.

I really like this. You're off to a wonderful start!

I agree with fabio that it's a bit dark at the moment. Or rather, it's too consistently dark across both land and sea. As you get further along, you might want to think of ways to give some more contrast between the two.

Aside from that, I love-love-love your overall landmass shapes and the coastlines (as well as the speckled shadows around them)! *thumbs up*

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks nice but indeed too dark at the moment . It lacks of luminosity and contrast.

Blog Entries

I actually really liked your previous WIP. What bothered you about the landmass, specifically?
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Lezales's Avatar

I will take the luminosity and contrast comments in account. I have drew several mountains and hills. I should be able to test to see how they fit during this week-end, if they work fine I'll be able to dive back into this map.

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    I actually really liked your previous WIP. What bothered you about the landmass, specifically?
    The northern part mostly. It felt stretched and didn't feel right for my storytelling needs. The earth bridge connecting the two landmasses also felt out of place. What you see in this thread is actually only the equivalent of the northern map of the old map. The southern map, small adjustment aside, will probably be almost identical when I will do it on a separate file !