Thread: [Paid] Fantasy-Renaissance map for book

Guild Novice

Post [Paid] Fantasy-Renaissance map for book

Hello all,

As I am slowly completing a fantasy novel, I am seriously thinking of adding a map. I thought of doing it myself but I am struggling too much with mapmaking software and I do not have the time required to learn the craft. So I am commissioning the art.

The book is not sold yet but I have a publisher very interested. (I will of course buy the map, whether I sell the book or not!)

Here is the description of the job:

- B&W designed for printing in books (I am thinking about line art, like the maps in Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy or GRR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, but I am no expert)
    - Format: A4, but needs to be legible at paperback size
    - Regional, fairly simple map (a handful of countries, some natural features such as mountains and highlands, a coastline)
    - Style: roughly 18-19th century
    - The map would have a stylized compass (this world has specific features implying a specific orientation method, more details will be given in private)
    - Map in French (no understanding of the language is necessary, I will give all the necessary labels, but accents will be used)
    - I have a roughly drawn outline of the map that can be used as an easy reference by the artist (I have quite a precise idea of what I am looking for, especially for the natural features, so a few passes between the artist and I might be necessary before we get to the final product).

The legal stuff:
    - I need to be able to commercially use the map to my liking (linked to the book), so that would mean I have to buy the copyright. A signed contract would be established. The artist would retain the right to showcase the map in his own portfolio, of course, but not use it commercially.
    - I would like having separate layers for the labels (in case translations of the book happen)

Allow me to say that I have absolutely no idea of the rates in practice. To be fully honest, as I would commission the artist out of my own pocket, I cannot offer a lot, but I still want to offer a fair rate.

This novel is part of a larger world, so, if all goes well, there *might* be more work in the future.

Please send me a PM with some examples of your work and rates if you are interested, so that we might discuss things further!

Guild Novice

Rather send me an email through the boards, it seems I do not have enough forum rights yet to access PMs

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KillerWhale View Post
    Rather send me an email through the boards, it seems I do not have enough forum rights yet to access PMs
    You need to have at least 5 posts before the PM's are active on your account.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Ah okay, thanks

Guild Novice

No problem, I perfectly understand why this measure is necessary

HEY HEY! You made 6 posts!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Novice

Woot! I am now a Real Person! (TM)

Guild Novice

The artist has been found. Many thanks to all who showed their interest!