Thread: Trying something new here

Guild Journeyer

Default Trying something new here

Well, as the title says, I'm trying something new. I've been playing around in a terrain generator I found called L3DT which doesn't give such good results on its own but when combined with Photoshop (Oil Paint filter and saturation) it gives you something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desert1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	331.9 KB 
ID:	62739

Obviously this isn't a map as such but I've thought about using it as the basis for one. What does everyone think?

I can see the appeal. could turn out to be a cool map if you stuck with that sort of soft swirly style throughout the rest of the elements of the map.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

It has a very cool feel to it, almost like something someone would see in a dream.

Guild Journeyer

Yeah, that's the feel I was going for; it reminds me of an impressionist painting with all the swirls

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    Good use of the filter. I would love to see th end result.

Tracker

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

What I would do (but I'm kind of a freak when it comes to that) is run the thing through Wilbur a few times. The basic terrain is just fantastic, with a few erosion cycles and some sliced-in rivers this will a full out killer terrain. I would LOVE to see that. (See? I'm a freak!)
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Interesting stuff. I've never thought PS's oil filter looks like oils, but it is a cool effect. I think this could become really good. Labeling it looks like it could be pretty difficult, but if you pull it off you'll have something really unique.

Guild Journeyer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Progress1.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	62755

There's my progress so far; to list a few things, I'm not very happy with the amount of progress I actually made in the first place. That's always a big problem. Second, I'm not content with the rivers (they look a bit fat); and finally, I've got no idea how to keep a common visual theme between the landscape itself and the labels.

The rivers look fine, though you could thin them out a little bit. The mountains give a metallic impression, which has the potential to be very evocative of the kind of world this is.