Thread: Caledon Region of Aeralys

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Caledon Region of Aeralys

I've been working on this campaign map for a bit off and on in Campaign Cartographer 3 using Herwin Wielink's awesome style. It just seemed to fit the dark setting of the world. Comments and critique's are quite welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Play Region.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	406.3 KB 
ID:	62742

Guild Journeyer

Surprisingly well executed for this style; however, ensure that your rivers don't split. Aside from that it's actually quite an attractive map from an artistic perspective.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about the rivers splitting? If you mean on the western edge of the map, you can't see from this view but those are separate river systems. Thank you very much for the comment!

Guild Member

Look at the lake next to Langlin. It's the west fork of a river that comes from the mountains and goes to the sea in two separate places.

The river that exits at Westmarch implies a split as well. Go upstream to the fork. Water doesn't tend to make sharp turns. Where you find a sharp angle the water is almost always moving in the same direction in both legs. So what this river appears to do is come from off-map and split, one part going to the lake and the other to the sea.

Ah hah, now I see what you're saying. I'll have to rethink these two rivers a bit I think. I may need to add a bit more drainage to get what I'm wanting.

This is a great map. Mainly because it evokes so much about the kinds of societies that live there and what they focus on economically and probably socially.

Here's a revision of the Caledon region map. I've revised the rivers and added some labels. I made a few other subtle changes that will hopefully make for a better map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caledon Region.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	656.6 KB 
ID:	62908