Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City of Dallor

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Default City of Dallor

After 1 week of work (see the WIP thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/to...ty-dallor.html ) I finished my second city map. Special thanks for -Max- and arsheesh who gave me some tips and positive critiques.

My objective with this map was to find my personal style. Since I entered the Guild, back in 2012, I think I learned a lot, and met some very talented and friendly people who helped me in a lot of ways.

But what I was lacking was some consistent, if you see a map from -Max-, Sapiento and Bogie you can easily say that its theirs, and that what I was looking for (at least for a city map). Im happy to say I think I got something good here, a style that might work for me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dallor3.jpg 
Views:	955 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	61371
    Last edited by Carbus; 02-13-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Very nice map, I really like the colours and some of the details in the map like middle bridge with some kind of tower.
    What I do miss is an area where the houses are more dense. Also some farmland around the city could have been nice. But it is a very good map and I look forward to see yur next one.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Well done Carbus! The layout is pretty cool and the colors are great. The buildings styles though could match the hand-drawn style better.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Thank you guys! Ill try to improve in the next map! Max, how do you think I could match the hand-draw? I dont think I have the skills to draw one by one and they all look similar xD Do you have any tips? Thanks!

Lovely work on this Carbus!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

That is a very nice style to choose. Lovely map!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbus View Post
    Max, how do you think I could match the hand-draw? I dont think I have the skills to draw one by one and they all look similar xD Do you have any tips? Thanks!
    Hmm you could probably have several options, maybe use a different brush with subtle irregularities to draw the buildings outlining (the brush could also be less sharp than the one you use or I would blurry the outlines a bit, for now it looks a bit pixellated/digital made). I would also get rid off the bevel/inner shadow or whatever you used on the buildings and rather use hand-drawn shading.

OK... I just leave a comment on the WIP and see now it was partially useless, because you've already improved what I noticed.

Very fine map, I really love the work on the grounds/river and colors.

Guild Novice

I really like how you did the elevations, especially along the river. The walls and streets are a little to straight for my taste. Did I miss what program you did this in? And "Brothel Hill"? a brilliant name for a brilliant use of topography. Perhaps called "hoo'er hill" by the local alliterates?

This was done in a very nice style. The little details in the water are wonderful and the overall texture is quite pleasant. I look forward to more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast