Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilbur and Fractal terrains

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Default Wilbur and Fractal terrains

I am trying to import a large file from wilbur into FT as a .dte, it works and all but FT reduces the quality alot (from 600 mb to 700kb), I know it can be done as ive seem some large FT files made from imported data. any one with the ability to tell me how to do it without loosing so much detail?

And if i can use various FT files and stich them into FT, unfortunatly i cant in wilbur as it crashes after 30,000 pixels width x 15,000 height.

I'm not sure I understand the phrase "FT reduces the quality alot (from 600 mb to 700kb)". Are you trying to export a file to CC3? If so, what settings are you using? Can you provide some example screenshots? Be aware that the CC3 export in FT generates a vector result and that the vector result will always have less information than the raster input.

Quote Originally Posted by zhar2 View Post
    And if i can use various FT files and stich them into FT, unfortunatly i cant in wilbur as it crashes after 30,000 pixels width x 15,000 height.
    And now I'm even more confused. What sort of data are you trying to process?

If I understand correctly, you're trying to go from Wilbur to FT. If that is the case, it might be easier to save the file in Wilbur as an .mdr file then opening it as a binary file in FT. You'll just have to make sure you set your edges (Surface>>Map Info) to;

Top = 90
    Left = -180
    Right = 180
    Bottom = -90

You'll probably want to flip the map as well (Surface>>Rotate>>Flip Vertical) before saving so that it loads right side up in FT.

If I'm understanding your question wrong, well, just ignore all of this.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Wolfe i know that, i do that, but the imported MDR is reduced in quality and data size by FT to a mere 700 kb, loosing alot of detail and beautiful features I crafted, I dont know why this is happening. I want to import my .mdr file into FT while preserving all of its quality.

Waldronate im not importing into CC3, i dont ever see an instance were i would need CC3, I am importing an .mdr from wilbur into FT but the process decimates ALOT of detail and reduces the saved file to a fraction of the .mdr file (so i assume alot of detail has been lost).

Or maybe I have reach the limit of FT usefulness, is there any other software that will allor me to use binary data, change projections and export present views or parts?

You may have to start with a random world in FT and set the editing resolution before importing the .mdr file. I don't send stuff from Wilbur to FT very often these days, but I seem to remember having to do that before because FT wanted to import the .mdr file at a default editing resolution. There was still some data loss, mostly because I don't think a .mdr file is "native" as far as FT is concerned, but I don't remember it being as drastic as what you are describing. Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully Waldronate will be able to provide more guidance given his familiarity with both applications and a clearer understanding of the issue.

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-31-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

FT3 should be able to create a binary world from an MDR up to a little under 1GB in size (that's the limit on the memory mapped files for a 32-bit program). If you're using Burn into Surface, then you will indeed be decimating the data down to the limit of FT (usually around 4k samples wide or so). If you're just leaving the MDR on disk and linking to it, FT will keep the full resolution of the original. For example people regularly use FT with the TOPO1 data set without problem ( ProFantasy Community Forum - Fractal Terrains 3 header format with ETOPO1 shows how); ETOPO1 is 21800x10600 samples.

I don't think that the retail version of FT is marked to use more than 2GB of RAM. If you're running a 64-bit OS and want FT to use more than 2GB of memory allowed by a basic 32-bit program, you should be able to set the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag on the retail version of FT to get access to more workspace memory (see GIS Geek: Set 32bit Executable LARGEADDRESSAWARE Flag to True or Guide Enable Large Address Aware (for 64-bit systems with >3GBs of RAM) - PSO-World.com Forums for examples of how to set the flag on an existing executable). This change should make it less likely that FT will crash due to out-of-memory conditions.

Seems I will have to use ArcGIS, but still working my way through the program and familiarising myself with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast