Thread: Map attempt

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Default Map attempt

Hello,

It has been a while since I posted... Anyway, I had a (very) quick work on a regional map.
    For example, the river police might be annoyed at the curves of the two rivers, but I merely throw them there because I wanted to do try some shading effects...

This is not destined for anything in particular. Rather, it is me taking a little time and trying to learn a thing of two about regional maps (I mostly produced battlemaps so far).

I tried a few things I read on these forums and this is the result...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map try.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	1,002.2 KB 
ID:	62783

So, I would be extremely grateful for criticisms, advices and other opportunities to learn and improve...

Thanks!

Wow, the map is really small... I didn't realize how much... Sorry about that

Seems a bit too simple for me, but then again it is of a small region, so how diverse could it be lol? The curves in the river are of course realistic, since all the rivers I've seen curve and wander.

One slightly off topic question: what kind of society exists in this region?
    Last edited by PugnacityD; 03-30-2014 at 11:44 PM.

The scale of your water texture seems off for the scale of the map. Sharp highlights often give away the scale of a texture so it can be good to find some with fairly moderate lighting. Maybe more subtle blending between the white tops of your mountains and the section below would help some too. Your land texture is looking good as are your forests.

Quote Originally Posted by PugnacityD View Post
    Seems a bit too simple for me, but then again it is of a small region, so how diverse could it be lol? The curves in the river are of course realistic, since all the rivers I've seen curve and wander.

One slightly off topic question: what kind of society exists in this region?
    I dunno, it is just a quick practice map, no real backstory beyond: "I always have problem with making semi-realistic mountains, let see if I can improve that. Also, I have an idea to shade rivers, let see how it looks"

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    The scale of your water texture seems off for the scale of the map. Sharp highlights often give away the scale of a texture so it can be good to find some with fairly moderate lighting. Maybe more subtle blending between the white tops of your mountains and the section below would help some too. Your land texture is looking good as are your forests.
    Thanks, here is a new map with the sea and the mountain top worked on a bit...

Maybe I should just put a uniform colour for the sea?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map try.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	1,002.2 KB 
ID:	62822