Thread: Hello, there. J Digory' Intro

Post Hello, there. J Digory' Intro

Hi there, everyone. The name's Digory, and I'm an ok artist with a tablet and some decent experience with it. I prefer to use Painter when using my tablet, but I am VERY comfortable in Fireworks when doing graphics.
    I play rpg games of the home-brewed variety, and I love creating the rules and the worlds that my friends and I adventure into, but for all my artistic ability, I really suck at maps. Badly I tried making a map and came up with the first attachment. It sucks. And it took me forever.
    Well, I bought some software to help me out, and it didn't get any better. *sad, sad laugh*
    The second attachment was my attempt with Fractal Mapper and many hours spent. Anyway, I came here to learn some techniques and to see some great examples of quality maps that don't look like they were handed out with an NES rpg game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Master Alaatia.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	5699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Known World sepia.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	5700  

Wecome to the Guild Digory! Great first post with maps and everything.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hey! I liked the maps in NES roleplaying games. Sigh. Anyway the second one looks ok to me. Anyhow I am on the wrong side of the learning curve myself, I use a tablet for cleaning up photos, but doing maps and illustrations is new to me as well and this site has been full of great tutorials and help. I hope you find it as useful as I have so far!

I just don't want to MAKE the maps that should have been in NES role-playing games.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome aboard, J Digory.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Ok, here is a sample from the same map idea that I attempted to do in Painter. Some elements of it I am happy with, but it is very much lacking compared to what I would actually like to achieve.

They are both small sections of the map, but it's really the only section I had anything interesting on. hahaha The second one is a closer shot of the same part.

Ah, thanks for the welcome, everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shapeimage_8.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	5703  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First of all, the difference in quality between the first two maps you posted and that new slice is huge.

Now, if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend you take a look at Sirith's tutorial here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1467

Welcome, and enjoy yourself!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name