Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northern Gun Map (Rifts RPG). Seeking advice/opinion.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FramedAssembly_zpsb65bf8ae.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	63700
    All the intended map elements are now in place. If you've the time and inclination, I'd appreciate suggestions and opinions before I do my final polish.

I also made a natural geography version that has a few labels which had to be cut for the icons/political labels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UPNaturalGeographylabeled_zps4fe6658b.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	63701

Very good. If I had any criticism left it would be that your town symbols seem to sit a bit far above the map for my taste, it makes them integrate less readily with the purely 2d political labels. Very fun to see an rifts map, especially one of my birth state.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Labels and icons are an interesting aspect of cartography to me. What I've been going for lately is having transparent regional labels, which allow the viewer to see more of the terrain, mixed with solid icons for settlements, whose locations and natures (city, town, capital) are more important than the relatively small amount of space they take up.

I like the look of the solid icons, but you make an interesting point. Perhaps I could give them less of a dropped shadow? I'll think on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12