Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Campaign Area - First Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Very nice, I especially like the worn/weathered/aged edges.
    Sadly, I can't take credit for the Paper Texture. I got it off of DeviantArt.
    Hand Drawn Art by Derek Hand Art by yours truly. Available for Freelance or other work

Okay, so I'm doing a little bit of work to do a more realistic map of the area.

Haven't added mountains because I'm really not sure how I'm going to do them yet.

Opinions? Suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcos_big.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	11128  
    Hand Drawn Art by Derek Hand Art by yours truly. Available for Freelance or other work

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You could try the tut by Pasis, or do like I do...render clouds, then 2 difference clouds then lighting effects, delete the blacks and dark grays, add a brown color overlay, then lasso the peaks and drag em where you want em. Looks good so far, great fjords.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm glad everyone likes the Fjords

Okay, so here's a bit more... I think I'm happy with how the mountains turned out. I also added some textures and some Forests.

I would like to add a bit more variation in terrain heights for the flat areas... any idea how to do that?

Name:	arcos_big1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	285.4 KB 
ID:	11145  

Shaded relief method. This is sort of like sculpting the terrain with your hands but instead you use a brush. What you do is: on the top of the layer stack add a new layer, fill it with 50% gray, set it to overlay, then use the dodge tool to "raise" the land up and the burn tool to "lower" the land. Dodge is like adding white and burn is like adding black.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

So, I think I'm happy with the terrain and I've added some political boundries and other markers. But I think the terrain proper is finished.

Name:	arcos_big2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	356.6 KB 
ID:	11159  

Very stylish, very nice. Might want to make the fonts a tad smaller but I guess it depends on how much labeling you plan to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Very stylish, very nice. Might want to make the fonts a tad smaller but I guess it depends on how much labeling you plan to do.
    I probably will... But I don't know how much labeling there will be as I only know the names of a few of the Towns on the map.

I'm not too sure about the colors either. But oh well It's done and I'm happy with it.

Now on to the next map...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You might also consider a slight glow around your text/labels depending on the color used and the background. It can really help.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123