Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Area - First Post

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Campaign Area - First Post

Howdy all, I stumbled across this site just as I started working on a map of the Burning Wheel campaign I'm in.

Done in Pen on paper lol. I have no idea how to do any of this bumpmapping or topographical stuff that so many people on here do... I'd love to, I just don't know how.

This is the starter map just to give me and the group, an idea of where everything is and a detailed layout of this world we've been playing in for a year already.

It's very rough and I'm in the process of cleaning it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcosian_penninsula.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	5706  
    Hand Drawn Art by Derek Hand Art by yours truly. Available for Freelance or other work

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Now that's a very nice first map post. Looks good so far. Like the dev art page too. From that, it looks like you do a bit of computer art too. Which program? I'm sure people here will be more than happy to teach you all there is to know about bump-mapping, but I'm afraid I just do hand-drawn stuff so can't help you too much there. I'll happily chip in if you have any Gimp queries that I can answer though. Oh, and welcome to the guild.

I use Photoshop CS2 ver.9 PRO exclusively.

I don't mind hand-drawn for the atual, at-the-table map, but I would love to eventually have a colored, realistic-looking map too.

Arcosian Peninnsula cleaned up lineart, no markings

Name:	arcosian_pen2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	5707  
    Hand Drawn Art by Derek Hand Art by yours truly. Available for Freelance or other work

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good, those fjord-like inlets rock.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Tensen01 View Post
    Done in Pen on paper lol. I have no idea how to do any of this bumpmapping or topographical stuff that so many people on here do... I'd love to, I just don't know how.
    In the meantime, your use of traditional media elevates your map to levels of gorgeosity and authenticity currently impossible for most digital methods. That's a very lovely map, something to be proud of.

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

I agree. I am particularly impressed by the detail of your coastline.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I agree. I am particularly impressed by the detail of your coastline.
    Yeah, the GM kept saying "No, craggier, CRAGGIER!" until I got to there and he was "Yeah, that works... for the scale"

if I ever zoom in you're gonna get even more crags.

I'm glad everyone likes... I wasn't sure how well a hand-drawn, not terribly detailed map would go down on here, I was actually embarassed to put it up.

Here's a general scale idea.

Name:	to_scale.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	5713  
    Last edited by Tensen01; 08-04-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Never be embarassed. I'm sure if you went back and saw the first WIP image I put up, you'd have nothing but confidence! Not that I'm a whiz now, but considering where I started...
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Oh yeah thats real craggy. Welcome - like the map - esp rivers. No need to call in the river police here.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Not sure of the scale, so unless you were going to add forests or some otehr kind of terrain, I'd just leave it as is...which just happens to be damn cool!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast