Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Area - First Post

Wip Campaign Area - First Post

Howdy all, I stumbled across this site just as I started working on a map of the Burning Wheel campaign I'm in.

Done in Pen on paper lol. I have no idea how to do any of this bumpmapping or topographical stuff that so many people on here do... I'd love to, I just don't know how.

This is the starter map just to give me and the group, an idea of where everything is and a detailed layout of this world we've been playing in for a year already.

It's very rough and I'm in the process of cleaning it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcosian_penninsula.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	5706  
    Hand Drawn Art by Derek Hand Art by yours truly. Available for Freelance or other work

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Now that's a very nice first map post. Looks good so far. Like the dev art page too. From that, it looks like you do a bit of computer art too. Which program? I'm sure people here will be more than happy to teach you all there is to know about bump-mapping, but I'm afraid I just do hand-drawn stuff so can't help you too much there. I'll happily chip in if you have any Gimp queries that I can answer though. Oh, and welcome to the guild.

I use Photoshop CS2 ver.9 PRO exclusively.

I don't mind hand-drawn for the atual, at-the-table map, but I would love to eventually have a colored, realistic-looking map too.

Arcosian Peninnsula cleaned up lineart, no markings

Name:	arcosian_pen2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	5707  
    Hand Drawn Art by Derek Hand Art by yours truly. Available for Freelance or other work

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good, those fjord-like inlets rock.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Tensen01 View Post
    Done in Pen on paper lol. I have no idea how to do any of this bumpmapping or topographical stuff that so many people on here do... I'd love to, I just don't know how.
    In the meantime, your use of traditional media elevates your map to levels of gorgeosity and authenticity currently impossible for most digital methods. That's a very lovely map, something to be proud of.

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

I agree. I am particularly impressed by the detail of your coastline.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I agree. I am particularly impressed by the detail of your coastline.
    Yeah, the GM kept saying "No, craggier, CRAGGIER!" until I got to there and he was "Yeah, that works... for the scale"

if I ever zoom in you're gonna get even more crags.

I'm glad everyone likes... I wasn't sure how well a hand-drawn, not terribly detailed map would go down on here, I was actually embarassed to put it up.

Here's a general scale idea.

Name:	to_scale.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	5713  
    Last edited by Tensen01; 08-04-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Never be embarassed. I'm sure if you went back and saw the first WIP image I put up, you'd have nothing but confidence! Not that I'm a whiz now, but considering where I started...
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Oh yeah thats real craggy. Welcome - like the map - esp rivers. No need to call in the river police here.

Wip

Necro'd

Unfortunately the game has been on hiatus for the past several months but I came across the map and thought I'd do something more with it.

So here's a kind of old-fashioned map look for it.

Not sure where to go from here... but I would like to do more with it.

Name:	arcosian_pen_paper.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	708.4 KB 
ID:	10792  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast