Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Question for all Cartographers

Blog Entries

But you get that from looking at new posts to old threads.

For me the only etiquette is to make sure your new thread title is descriptive and not just some kind of vague thing. I see on some forums threads like "How do I...." then the opening post has the actual question in it. Thats a "no click through" thread for me. So nothing like "Question about maps" etc. Thinking about it, even this thread should have had something more like "Question about new threads" or something like that instead of just for all cartographers - which is basically nearly all of us (hopefully !).

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Thinking about it, even this thread should have had something more like "Question about new threads" or something like that instead of just for all cartographers - which is basically nearly all of us (hopefully !).
    Oops.

For what it's worth, I chose the name for this thread with the idea it would be sufficiently eye-catching that it would get a decent response (which it has). I take your poimt though.

Would it be worthwhile for one of the forums to have a sticky thread devoted to etiquette, or is that not really necessary?

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Based on the forum's collective behavior to date, I don't know that anything beyond the existing FAQ is necessary. The occasions when someone flagrantly ignores common-sense etiquette wouldn't be helped because those people aren't the sort to read those stickies, anyway, and pretty much everyone else seems to pick up the social norms through experience. Also, we have a proactive and respectful group of Community Leaders (thanks!) who help to politely guide people when needed.

As an aside to RedKettle: although maps of places are by far the most numerous things you'll see here, there are those who appreciate non-spatial maps, diagrams, and other infographic work as well. I like your Roman bridge illustration, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of that kind of thing here, even if it isn't properly cartography.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12