Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North-Eastern Kingdoms of Durthaen

Map North-Eastern Kingdoms of Durthaen

Hi guys 'n' gals. This is a finished map that I created for a book I am writing.
    It started out as a GIS generated elevation map that lacked the old authentic look I was after, so soon ended up being transferred to good old photoshop. Many hours of work here.
    If you have any comments or questions about how I created certain effects on this map, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NE Durthaen - reduced.jpg 
Views:	1298 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	5712  

Utterly wonderful. I weep to think I'll never own a printer that could print it at home, but if you're designing for full-process work, it's just perfect.

(My only reservations are about the font used in the title-box, which seems very right-now compared to the rest)
    Last edited by Ghalev; 08-04-2008 at 07:16 PM.

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Since I spent about 10 minutes looking at this map, reading the city names and admiring the little village icons...I love this map. Well done.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks Ghalev! Thankfully I have access to a colour printer capable of spitting this out full size. The map hangs on my wall as a handy reference for my writing.

Thanks also to you Ascension. Nothing could be more of a complement than someone studying your work for several minutes. Thankyou very much!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I have to agree with the others, this is absolutely great. Wonderful Job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Simply wow. I love the approach you took to the forests. I'll be keeping this one on file for reference.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Journeyer

That is very,VERY nice! - lovely execution and finish. love it.

My only - well it's not really a 'problem' or anything but it reminds me of late 19th century maps of America. I think it's the fonts, they have a feel of that time, as does the decoration and the compass. Maybe that was an intention.

Also the way the mountains are drawn in brown doesn't feel consistent (to me) with the forests ( I love the way you have done the forests BTW ) and the rest of the map. I'm guessing this is because you didn't want them to be too much of a distraction?

- but ignore me - I'm being picky, these are just preferences. It is a delight to look at!!

thanks for showing!
    Jez

Praise

Very exceptional work. I'm not personally a fan of the font choices, but it doesn't ruin it. It's a really, really nice map. I really wish I could decide on a style and hone it like you have. Great work!

Consider yourself beaten about the head and shoulders by the rep stick! In other words that is a beautiful map and worth repping.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast