Thread: Rhen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Rhen

Hi, I've been working on a world for the last year or so, focusing on the history, culture, and story side of the main continent (or at least, the continent I am focusing on at the moment). As always I started with a general idea and a map, which hasn't changed much in a year. When I have finished the descriptions of the geography and cultures, I would like to return to the maps and redraw/edit them using a software program (about which I will research later). In the meantime, these are two drawn drafts. One map is the continent (roughly the size of Europe turned 90 degrees) and another is the zoomed in portion of Northeast Rhen. The world is about one and half times the size of Earth, the rivers flow north to south, and the mountains to the west are old and worn, to the east new and tall. The jet stream flows west to east, but meets the continent from a generally southern direction bringing relatively warmer weather to an otherwise cold and northernly positioned continent. I've put in some effort into the plausibility of this world, so any feedback concerning this would be appreciated. Also, general impressions are extremely helpful. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northern Realm continent.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	62938
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoR.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	62939
    Last edited by gtwucla; 04-05-2014 at 05:45 AM.

Wow, now that I have looked through the guild a bit more, I can see that I've got a lot to learn.

I like your upper coastline in particular, good Fjords. The lining for your water is quite attractive as well. You have some river issues that need resolving, which is a very common problem, but fear not the answer you want exist!

I see, all my river forking. Thanks for the link, I'll definitely address the issue. As for the inland delta, what are your thoughts on that? I know its rare, but I was thinking something along the line of the Okavango Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by gtwucla View Post
    As for the inland delta, what are your thoughts on that? I know its rare, but I was thinking something along the line of the Okavango Delta.
    Assuming it's realistic (i.e. it has to empty into an area hot enough for it to evaporate after spreading out as per the Okavango), then I love that kind of thing so +1 vote for keeping it

Wip Rhen, river edit

Alrighty then, I've edited out the forks in the rivers and plan to add some smaller bodies of water a little later. As for the delta, I would like to extend the river out a ways and then end in an inland delta. Does the space between the two major rivers in the zoomed in map seem to indicate wetland? I plan on adding a legend, but I wonder if the arid space and the marshland indicators are intuitive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northern Realm continent river edit.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	62996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoR river edit downsized.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	62997  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

In the large scale map I can see the arid zone (southwest), but I am no recognizing the marshland.

These 3-line indicators looks like arid vegetation, in the large-scale mape, but it looks like wet area, in the zoomed map (I don't know why, and I may be wrong).

To me, the vertical lines represents some kind of cut down forest (especially because there are other living trees near them)

I may be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

Keep going, you are doing a wonderful job.