Thread: Requests

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Requests

...how do they work? Can I just private message whomever I feel is good with a request to design maps for me and...such? Is there a going rate? How does this work...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hi, welcome to the Guild. You might want to check this sticky and then post a request in th Map request Section. Since you cannot access to private message until you reach 5 posts, the best way is often to provide a way to contact you (e-mail adress) in order to discuss details awith applicants.

If you see an artists/cartographer's style that you like and you'd specifically like to commision them then a private message would be the way to go. Rates vary and are agreed to between the cartographer and commissioner.

you can also post requests in the Mapmaking Request Forum. Be sure to read the sticky at the top of the forum as -Max- stated and you'll have the mappers coming to you.

Good luck
    Last edited by Slylok; 04-04-2014 at 08:06 AM.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Slylok, you seem pretty good. How much would you charge for a world map based on really bad drawings which I have made?
    Last edited by thismindofmine; 04-04-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thismindofmine View Post
    Slylok, you seem pretty good. How much would you charge for a world map based on really bad drawings which I have made?
    I typically base my price off of how long I think it will take after I find out everything the requester actually needs the map to convey to the viewer. So it varies. I'm currently not taking commissions, but I know there are plenty of others who are and they may have a different approach for pricing.

I think posting in the map request forum and then looking through different portfolios while waiting for responses is a good way to go. I'm sure whatever you're working on will turn out great since it's coming from the mind of a Hoosier
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Slylok View Post
    I typically base my price off of how long I think it will take after I find out everything the requester actually needs the map to convey to the viewer. So it varies. I'm currently not taking commissions, but I know there are plenty of others who are and they may have a different approach for pricing.

I think posting in the map request forum and then looking through different portfolios while waiting for responses is a good way to go. I'm sure whatever you're working on will turn out great since it's coming from the mind of a Hoosier
    Thank you. I tried to post on the requests board and it said the post needed to be checked by an admin or something and it has yet to post...It's been the better part of a week now...