Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Cavern with Stream

Funny that you mention that - Madcow...

I had already made the adjustments that you mentioned when I posted the second section (the one with the bridge).

Thanks for the comments folks!
    -GP
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cave-7-Area-E.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	864.8 KB 
ID:	63044

A chasm for area E.

The construction was basic and I used a lot of my new 'smear' shading techniques. I'm not really happy about the edge though. It still looks false...like it's just hovering there.

Any suggestions?

-GP

Not sure weather it would be an improvement till I saw it but you could try shading the edges as if they were overhanging the chasm a bit in places. Might continue the ends a bit further, not as an open chasm but simple as a line to make its appearance less abrupt. I don't really have any problems with it as it stands though, looks fine to my eye and I very much like the shading at the bottom smudgy and a nice, but not to computer pure, gradient. The stream is looking oddly abrupt in some of these, maybe make it erode away a bit of wall as its flowing under it so that it bulges on either side where the stream enters and exits?

Name:	cave-7-Area-E.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	954.3 KB 
ID:	63061

Ok - I'm a bit more satisfied with the chasm now - adding the cracks to the edge seems to have 'anchored' it to the base level a bit more in my mind. I also added s stone in the path of the water and played with the ditch layer a little. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to re-do the water path once I'm done with all of the other zones.

-GP

Name:	cave-8-Area-B.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	546.4 KB 
ID:	63062

A small water feature in area B.

Easy pool. Not sure what more to add to it. I'm fairly ok with the border and depth shading.

Comments?

-GP

Seems a bit bright and saturated compared to the rest of the elements, but maybe that's just because I'm seeing only part of the map.

I was trying to suggest that this pool isn't as deep as the other water elements. So where as the other water would be, say, waist-deep...this would be something like 'knee' deep.

Just not sure how to make that clear.

-GP

Which is why I was making it lighter.

Hrm...

Hmm I actually thought this looked deeper. Maybe showing some element on the bottom to indicate it is shallow? Not sure. Fewer water lines on it might help also.

Name:	cave-8-850.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	1,003.4 KB 
ID:	63063

Here's a smaller version of the map with all of the elements to date.

-GP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast