Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Cavern with Stream

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default WIP: Cavern with Stream

So I'm back at trying to tackle running water as an effect within a cavern.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cave-2b.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	449.7 KB 
ID:	62948

First step: Ya have to have a source.

For this map I came up with the idea of having a pool at one end of the cave that was the source of an underground spring. Water would bubble up (have no idea how to indicate that) and flow along a well-worn channel in the cavern floor .

Name:	cave-2a.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	62949

Creating the effect of a sunken channel on the cavern floor wasn't that hard. I -think- that I achieved the effect that I was going for. I also added a water effect and some highlights to suggest that the water is more shallow on the edges and deeper in the center.

Name:	cave-2-650.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	588.6 KB 
ID:	62950

I'm not happy with the end result. I like the map (without the water). I'm stating to use a new technique on my wall-shadows to add darkness around the contours and then feathering and 'smearing' the color back from the edge.

What do you think?

-GP
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

I rather like your new wall effect. For the water its usually enough to indicate direction of flow and not really indicate weather its bubbling up, running through cracks, or coming out of an actual channel (though coming up with some effects to indicate that might be nice). I few rocks in the water with some flow lines around them do a good job of this, but there are a number of ways. The tendency of the technique you are using on the waters edge to make white streamer like projections doesn't do much for me, its not bad per say but I think you could come up with something better. I do like your channel effect.

Blog Entries

I suppose the stream could be more visually appealing if it followed
    a more interesting route. I think that, if I were to find an underground
    spring somewhere in a cavern, the water would spread out over the
    rock rather than carve a deep channel. Sure, it might etch grooves
    into the rock, or follow any existing path, but what you're depicting
    looks at least a foot down. Plus, your stream seems to barrel in and
    out of the cave wall. Is there a tunnel for the water to go through or
    something? If so, you might include that with a dotted line. What's the
    slope in the cave aside from your trench?

Also, I can see where you intentionally widened the stream the further
    it got from the source. While this would probably be pretty accurate on
    a large scale, with something so small as this, the stream could be
    deeper instead of wider. Would this stream have other sources?

Overall, I can see where what you've done looks nice in those close-ups,
    but the stream might benefit from following a different path.

Best of luck, and hope my comments help
    Foremost
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Name:	cave-3a.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	62957

Ok, so here's a re-work of the water details in the map. I've added some stones in the water's path and some white 'water trails'.

Name:	cave-3-650.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	589.4 KB 
ID:	62956

And then I thought to fill in some of the blank edges of the map with small stones - to suggest that the walls have crumbled here and there but the stones have been pushed back against the edge or something.

I like the use of the stones as a cool 'edge element' but I'm not sure how to use them yet.

Name:	cave-4-650.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	602.1 KB 
ID:	62958
    Anyone have any ideas / suggestions?

Also - I want to add some other elements to this map to make it more interesting. I may toss in some extra elements in the various 'zones' created by this map but I'm not sure what to add.

Name:	cave-3b.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	665.2 KB 
ID:	62959

The map, like other maps, can be easily compartmentalized into various 'zones'. Each 'zone' could have an element within it to give it more character / detail. Now, any GM could add in some encounter details (kobolds or something) but this is just for the map itself. This would be some kind of geological / Cartographic element:

1. Pit
    2. Standing water.
    3. Mold?
    4. Slime?
    5. Craggy / broken ground?

?? Anyone else think of some.

What would you add to the various zones?

Comments Welcome.
    -GP

I like the new stream detailing, the suggestion of lines to mark its course was an excellent one. As far as adding elements the two things that come to mind are either 1. details that point to a narrative or 2. details that make it tactically more interesting. For the first you have to develop a reason why someone is in the cave to begin with and it limits you to using the map for that narrative. For the second it keeps the cave more generic but makes it more fun to use: areas of mixed elevation, dangers, rough terrain etc. If option two I'd add a couple of raised areas or stalagmites to area G for a more interesting "final encounter", A hazard such as a thin beam or other element that will add a last minute challenge and make it hard to run to F, difficult ground for an encounter in E, and standing water in B for aquatic horrors. For the first option I'd need a narrative and theme the chambers along the way, but I'll leave that to you.

Name:	cave-5-Area-G.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	469.3 KB 
ID:	62961

This is my first pass at a combination of stalagmites and different elevations for area 'G' of the map that I've been working on (which turned out fairly well for having no idea how to represent them). I tried something new for the elevations this time, trying to use shadows on either side of the 'edge' to show the 'steps'.

I also added some stones along the edges of the walls for a bit more detail. I'm not sure what to do about the coloration of the stalagmites. Do I colorize them like the surrounding rock or leave them a fairly neutral color like the 'ground' layer?

Name:	cave-5a-Area-G.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	431.3 KB 
ID:	62962

This has another layer set above the stalag. layer of black set to soft light with a hint of the surrounding 'rock' texture.

Thoughts?

-GP

Name:	cave-6-Area-F.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	476.8 KB 
ID:	62972

Well, here's the 'bridge' element for area F. I dropped the basic elevation of the area a little with two steps on either side. Then I added the bridge over the water but wanted to do something interesting with it so I made some boulder 'steps' that lead up to the bridge. One of the reasons why I dropped the surrounding area's elevation was so that I could lighten the steps a little to hopefully show that they were getting higher (closer) as you walked up them to cross the bridge.

Next up: Hazardous Terrain for area E.

Comments welcome.

-GP

The improvised bridge element is excellent, I like your elevation work much more on this section than on the previous one with the stalactites where I have a harder time discerning which side is supposed to be elevated. I prefer the colored version of the stalactites the uncolored one looks too much like pits to me. You are definately honing your style on these, excellent work.

Funny that you mention that - Madcow...

I had already made the adjustments that you mentioned when I posted the second section (the one with the bridge).

Thanks for the comments folks!
    -GP

I agree with Mad Cow - the coloured stalagmites are very very good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast