Thread: Map of Northen [WIP]

Wip Map of Northen [WIP]

So I recently found this forum and the tutorials and guides posted within. I followed Gidde's tutorial "Hand-Drawn Map Tutorial (For the artistically challenged)" --Thank you Gidde, it's an incredible piece of work-- and came up with this little guy. I'm still undecided on the placement of villages, towns, and cities. I know I want one in the top of Sailor's Calm, where the rivers dump into the sea, but I haven't decided on much else. This is my first map, so let me know what you guys think. Any comments/criticism is much appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TipKqMU.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	870.3 KB 
ID:	62963

Great first map, you've done a good job with both the features and elements. The highlighting behind the labels on the mountains could use more work. Fade the edges more, make it block the background more maybe, I'd fiddle with it till it pops more. The label for the sailors calm could be curved in keeping with the other natural features labeling.

The river furthest to the right splits as it crosses the plains, which is the opposite of what it should do. I'm guessing you want a river delta, but based on your scale it should be much smaller. I think deltas that size do exist in the real world, but iirc they need a huge river in order to form. Great start other than that though!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

The scale text is not easy to read, use a larger font, and try to leave it horizontally, it's easier to read.

And like the others said before: great first map!