Thread: My RPG Campaign Setting

Wip My RPG Campaign Setting

I have been working on this one rpg forever...I have a lot done, but now is the time to flesh out a lot of details. And maps are some of those details. If you saw my introduction, you would know I am pretty map-mentally challenged. But there are some awesome artists here on the site...and despite about 40 crashes from Painter, I am now ready to show the fruits of this day's labor.

Vapour really inspired me with his finished map he posted. I have no idea how he did it, but it gave me some ideas on how I would like my own map to look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent Map_016.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	958.5 KB 
ID:	5722  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I really like the color scheme so far.

The coastal details are well...different, and aren't exactly to my taste, but hey, that's why we put these out here to see what everyone else thinks.

If I have any real criticisms, its that the majority of the islands are awfully 'round'. Maybe distort some of those that are close to the coast so that they somewhat mimic the coastline?

Looking forward to see hw this progresses.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think this is a great start. I like the color scheme a lot. It is hard to tell much more until you get further along in the details though.

Yeah, I should fix up those islands more. Thanks.
    Sure is a lot of work. hehe

I love the texture you've given the piece.

My only immediate c&c would be the shoreline / shallows effect. It seems to mimic rock and stone more than water and wave, but hey - everybody's got their unique style.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

My main issue with the coastline effect isn't the pattern (it's unusual but has a certain thing going on) but rather the conspiciously-digital fade effect, which seems to contradict the rest of the look (which is less conspiciously digital).

But if that's intentional, that's cool too. I like the colors.

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

I wouldn't have noticed the fade if Ghalev hadn't mentioned it. I really like the coastal texture, as well as the texturing as a whole. I also really like the look of your text--is that incredibly consistent handwriting or a stunningly good handwritten font? Either way, I'm impressed.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name